• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Looking for more info on ASOp

D

dozyscopie1

Yes mate. Chances are as a first tour you will do Scampton or Boulmer till you learn the trade and get a bit of time in then you can look to move on. Doesn't always happen like that though. Know a few lads that have been in 10yrs and haven't done a tour at either of those places. Luck of the draw sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using my thumb.

Winters

LAC
Well hopefully I will be a lucky one. Does sound like an interesting career to be honest just not sure what you can do after the RAF with doing this role? Do you have any ideas?

LilStill

Sergeant
Yes mate. Chances are as a first tour you will do Scampton or Boulmer till you learn the trade and get a bit of time in then you can look to move on. Doesn't always happen like that though. Know a few lads that have been in 10yrs and haven't done a tour at either of those places. Luck of the draw sometimes.

We are getting a steady flow of ASOP LACs at Scampton at the moment, usually 1 or 2 per course which - when you compare 1ACCs size to the size of the CRC at Boulmer - is pretty much the right amount.

D

dozyscopie1

Well hopefully I will be a lucky one. Does sound like an interesting career to be honest just not sure what you can do after the RAF with doing this role? Do you have any ideas?

Depends mate. A lot of the guys who go to JDLMO and do data links can leave and walk into a fairly decent job in the same field with a number of civvy companies.
I forgot to mention that if you managed to fast track to controller, SAC to Sgt, you could get yourself on the E3 as surveillance op or controller. Think you need 3 reports, and have to pass the aptitude test at Cranwell, its not too hard. Then if you manage to pass the course at the school you would be a Sgt., few more years you could be on the jet. Got a few mates who have been in the same length of time as me and are now FS and WO.

Winters

LAC
Depends mate. A lot of the guys who go to JDLMO and do data links can leave and walk into a fairly decent job in the same field with a number of civvy companies.
I forgot to mention that if you managed to fast track to controller, SAC to Sgt, you could get yourself on the E3 as surveillance op or controller. Think you need 3 reports, and have to pass the aptitude test at Cranwell, its not too hard. Then if you manage to pass the course at the school you would be a Sgt., few more years you could be on the jet. Got a few mates who have been in the same length of time as me and are now FS and WO..

Sorry mate, what does data links involve? Sorry to ask so many questions. Yeah I have read about going into the E3 that is something that would very much interest me, When I hopefully join or get in I will be looking to work my way up I enjoy a challenge. What do you mean 3 reports? Do they get better pay etc for doing that as well then?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Sorry mate, what does data links involve? Sorry to ask so many questions. Yeah I have read about going into the E3 that is something that would very much interest me, When I hopefully join or get in I will be looking to work my way up I enjoy a challenge. What do you mean 3 reports? Do they get better pay etc for doing that as well then?

Digital data links is a way of reducing normal comms chatter and bandwidth by establishing via a discreet frequency a link that information can be passed down at a higher rate of update than a human could ever hope for.

So in real terms people on the ground can update a person sat in a Typhoon, GR4 or E3D for example by placing the data via a console onto the link and it'll be displayed in real time (so less than 20 mins but often immediately) in front of the pilot, nav or operator...so this could be hostile aircraft in the air defense environment or a bunch of targets on the ground for a GR4 mate to go blow up. It extends to all our foreign buddies so as long as you get your unit (aircraft) 'on' the link for the day and some other more technical stuff works in your favour you will get a pretty good service from a link and it'll be a force multiplier. Also operators in the air can send stuff back to the ground so they can see further into the operational environment than they feasibly could have using purely ground based sensors.

Commonly used links are link11, 16 or JTIDS. These are just evolutions of links so older aircraft may only have 11 fitted whilst newer or upgraded will have all of them. Each one has it'sown advantages and limitations.

I do know that a good link operator on the E3D is worth his or her weight in gold.

D

dozyscopie1

As Vim says although I don't think I would have explained it as well as that. We are currently on ex doing L16 with the Typhoons and the D in a nice sunny country. 3 reports means they won't consider you until you have had 3 annual appraisals. So you will probably do about 4 years before you could put your application in for controller. You can sit the aptitude anytime though. I think they may even have started taking the people who are going through trade training at Boulmer to Cranwell to sit the aptitude test, they coincide it with a visit to Waddo to see the jet.

N

NotAnIDOYet

I forgot to mention that if you managed to fast track to controller, SAC to Sgt, you could get yourself on the E3 as surveillance op or controller. Think you need 3 reports, and have to pass the aptitude test at Cranwell, its not too hard. Then if you manage to pass the course at the school you would be a Sgt., few more years you could be on the jet. Got a few mates who have been in the same length of time as me and are now FS and WO.

You are certainly not fast tracking to sgt to be a surv op on the jet! SNCO WC is a complete remuster and you also have to be eligible for promotion to cpl by having the assessments and passing FT. Aptitude test at Cranwell is the same as for commissioning as an ABM, I have done it and wouldn't describe it as easy. The weapons course is hard, plenty of good people fail it - airmen and officers.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You are certainly not fast tracking to sgt to be a surv op on the jet! SNCO WC is a complete remuster and you also have to be eligible for promotion to cpl by having the assessments and passing FT. Aptitude test at Cranwell is the same as for commissioning as an ABM, I have done it and wouldn't describe it as easy. The weapons course is hard, plenty of good people fail it - airmen and officers.

Not only do you have to pass tricky aptitude tests on your route to ABM but also demonstrate that your entire wardrobe consists of Abercrombie and Fitch t-shirts all a size smaller than you actually need....

N

NotAnIDOYet

Not only do you have to pass tricky aptitude tests on your route to ABM but also demonstrate that your entire wardrobe consists of Abercrombie and Fitch t-shirts all a size smaller than you actually need....

Is that only for those who spend too much time stateside?

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
The RAF get you your maths then? What is it you do?

It taught me practical maths by way of navigation and meteorology, in which I consistently came top and recovered my mathematical confidence (originally high but lost at grammar school as a result of being taught by shout'n'clout incompetents) and then put me through O and AO (now A/S) levels. One thing about RAF training is that if you take it seriously it will help you find your personal best.

To answer your other question, I was TG9 then SSC ATCO before taking my little golden pot and going into the NHS as a psychiatric nurse (now mental health nurse). After Uni I moved into the arts (all in my profile) but we're now moving Off Topicand in any case I'm 71 next month. :ghost:

Enjoy the Service!

Winters

LAC
It taught me practical maths by way of navigation and meteorology, in which I consistently came top and recovered my mathematical confidence (originally high but lost at grammar school as a result of being taught by shout'n'clout incompetents) and then put me through O and AO (now A/S) levels. One thing about RAF training is that if you take it seriously it will help you find your personal best.

To answer your other question, I was TG9 then SSC ATCO before taking my little golden pot and going into the NHS as a psychiatric nurse (now mental health nurse). After Uni I moved into the arts (all in my profile) but we're now moving Off Topicand in any case I'm 71 next month. :ghost:

Enjoy the Service!

Thank you very much, thats if I get in! I feel like Ive lost the confidence for maths as well been agood few years ago since I did them. I intend to do my best in everything I do so I'm hoping I will find the very best in the RAF. Sounds like you had a great career.

Regards

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Thank you very much, thats if I get in! I feel like Ive lost the confidence for maths as well been agood few years ago since I did them. I intend to do my best in everything I do so I'm hoping I will find the very best in the RAF. Sounds like you had a great career.

Regards

I certainly did! So will you.

:triumphant:

S

seamusoscopie

Japple stands for Joint Air Picture Provision Land Environment. Work with the army providing an air picture wherever they go on ex. NAOC is actually NADOC, fat thumbs, National Air Defence Operations Centre cant go into too much here but they work alongside Q jets. SpOCC, Space Operation Co-ordination Centre, bit like Fylingdales, monitor space and a few other things I can't mention. JDLMO, Joint Data Link MAnagement Organisation, do data links, L16, L11. Also has a deployable cell. ASOC, like a deployable NAOC. There are roles for SAC's in most of these places bar SpOCC and NAOC, Cpl and above for those. A lot of these jobs I mentioned in my personnel opinion are pretty balls. But that's just my opinion.

Eh?????????

Last edited by a moderator: