• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Looking for more info on ASOp

Winters

LAC
Just wondering if anyone on this site could give me some more info on the role Aerospace Systems Operator? I know all the standard info provided from the RAF but would like to know:

If people enjoyed the role?
What they do on a daily basis?
Is the promotion chances good/high?

I've currently just started my application so what to know if these is the role I would enjoy.

Cheers if anyone does reply,

Winters

LilStill

Sergeant
I am not a Scopie but work with several hundred. I have text a colleague to jump on here and give you some info, but in the meantime I will give a brief crack at #2 and #3 to get you started :)

What they do on a daily basis?
Twofold. The Control & Reporting Centres at Boulmer and Scampton are responsible for producing a recognised air picture and identifying the aircraft seen, and using/passing on this information appropriately. They are also responsible for controlling military aircraft up to and including things like weapons release. At SAC level the job doesn't appear to be the busiest in the world but that does give you the opportunity to do secondary tasks or projects within your day - if you're that kind of person.

Promotion
Distinctly average, really. Not as high flying as some, nowhere near as slow as techies. The average SAC-Cpl is about 6 years in. The other ranks I do not have figures for in my head, I'm afraid.

Standby for further!

norfolkred1

Sergeant
If you like to travel-Don't Bother. Very few postings nowadays, mainly Lincoln and Northumberland
Day to Day can be very mundane once you get the hang of the job
Plenty of Courses to go on, in fact your sent on courses regardless.
Promotion can be slow but you can fast track to Airborne Fighter Controller or Surveillance
Mobile Radars is another option but very little movement out of the Country as there used to be but you may get your HGV out of it,

Think of what the future may hold when choosing your Trade, not a lot of Call for Air Defence Operators in Civvy Street.

Good luck with your choice...

Winters

LAC
So overall pretty average job? I get that from people from most roles tbh, mixed of good and bads. I like to do my research into what I want to do as this is going to be my life in a few months hoefully!! You can see why I'm finding it really difficult deciding on what I want to. I'm just about to complete my degree but as I don't hold a B in maths I cant apply for most officer positions which is a shame. That was going to be another question of mine, what roles could you do if I did eventually leave? The RAF website says similar jobs such as Traffic Controller is this true? Also what kind of things does fighter control, Surveillance and the mobile unit involve? I understand you can go into any one of these if you posses the right skills and so forth? So you don't travel much either then?

Thanks for replying so quick as well!!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
The main difference between Air Traffic Control and Fighter Controllers, is that ATC keep them apart and FC's get them together. ATC gives you more scope (pun intended) when you finally leave the RAF.

LilStill

Sergeant
I question your logic in being unable to apply for an Officer career. While I agree it's not for everyone, clearly you see it as an option and if it's only a Maths B holding you back... go get it, it's not exactly difficult. If you're willing to hold a commission then the benefits for you like pay, housing and less being fecked around are probably worth having. Think about it and don't sell yourself short because you're missing one qualification.

For ASOP - Fighter Control do exactly that, Surveillance produce the recognised air picture and identify the aircraft on it, the mobile unit (No. 1 Air Control Centre at RAF Scampton) do exactly the same as the CRC at RAF Boulmer, but are able to do it in a deployed environment.

D

dozyscopie1

Got Japple also, moving to Pompey soon. Fylingdales doing Space, High Wycombe has the NAOC, JDLMO and the SPOCC. We have people at the ASOC over at Netheravon and people at Speadadam.

Sent from my iPhone using my thumb.

D

dozyscopie1

Lilstill I do deployable data links, forgot to reply to your question on the PCS forum. Go on exercises all over the place.

LilStill

Sergeant
Lilstill I do deployable data links, forgot to reply to your question on the PCS forum. Go on exercises all over the place.

Hah, no worries mate, was just curious as my colleague referenced above used to do the NAOC where you are and we were feeling nosy!

Winters

LAC
Got Japple also, moving to Pompey soon. Fylingdales doing Space, High Wycombe has the NAOC, JDLMO and the SPOCC. We have people at the ASOC over at Netheravon and people at Speadadam.

Can I ask What does all that mean? Japple, NAOC, JDLMO and SPOCC? Cant tell if your being serious or having a joke? Also Going off what you said Lilstill, once I'm in the RAF can I get my maths then apply for officer roles from being in the RAF?

LilStill

Sergeant
Can I ask What does all that mean? Japple, NAOC, JDLMO and SPOCC? Cant tell if your being serious or having a joke? Also Going off what you said Lilstill, once I'm in the RAF can I get my maths then apply for officer roles from being in the RAF?
Yes - you can study for the Maths quite easily in your own time and using your Standard Learning Credits. You may also find with a little bit of service that the academic qualifications are reduced slightly. Best to ask if the AFCO about going that route, however, as I am not a recruiter and can't guarantee I'm 100% correct :)

Winters

LAC
Ok well thank you very much for all the information you have provided. Really do appreciate it, hopefully I'll hear back from the RAF soon and I'll go speak to them about my options. One thing is for sure I will be going for a career with the RAF. Thanks

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Yes - you can study for the Maths quite easily in your own time and using your Standard Learning Credits. You may also find with a little bit of service that the academic qualifications are reduced slightly. Best to ask if the AFCO about going that route, however, as I am not a recruiter and can't guarantee I'm 100% correct :)

The only way academic qualifications change for in service commissions is the A Level requirement drops off, the GCSE requirement (i.e. 5 x GCSE or equivalent at grade C or above in English, Maths and 3 others) remains extant. For aptitude-based branches like ABM, the maths requirement is raised to a B. As you progress through your career and rise up the rank ladder, the number of GCSEs change but Englsih and Maths will always remain the constant.

D

dozyscopie1

Japple stands for Joint Air Picture Provision Land Environment. Work with the army providing an air picture wherever they go on ex. NAOC is actually NADOC, fat thumbs, National Air Defence Operations Centre cant go into too much here but they work alongside Q jets. SpOCC, Space Operation Co-ordination Centre, bit like Fylingdales, monitor space and a few other things I can't mention. JDLMO, Joint Data Link MAnagement Organisation, do data links, L16, L11. Also has a deployable cell. ASOC, like a deployable NAOC. There are roles for SAC's in most of these places bar SpOCC and NAOC, Cpl and above for those. A lot of these jobs I mentioned in my personnel opinion are pretty balls. But that's just my opinion.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
I question your logic in being unable to apply for an Officer career. While I agree it's not for everyone, clearly you see it as an option and if it's only a Maths B holding you back... go get it, it's not exactly difficult. If you're willing to hold a commission then the benefits for you like pay, housing and less being fecked around are probably worth having. Think about it and don't sell yourself short because you're missing one qualification.

I'm very glad I started as an airman (similar shortage of maths - the RAF soon sorted that out for me), it made me a better, more rounded person. Best of luck!

:satellite:

D

dozyscopie1

You forget the briefers highly utilized by 8 (The exercise) Sqn.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

So I did, actually working alongside one at the moment too. Also at Waddo we have SAC's doing the sim pilot job. Those two roles are pretty decent jobs if you can get them, and Lincoln is a top night out.