• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Logistics Officer route

Thanks guys for all your replies.

Next year I'll be too old to join as an Log Officer. The upper age limit is 30, which means that I would have to get to IOT before I turn 31, which is July this year. I don't really want to wait another year to try for OPS or ABM for example.

I believe that the Regiment has a lot to offer. Despite the CBRN going to the Army the future of the branch is quite secure I hope. I do have a little suspicion about OASC's plans for me. In 2006 I served in the Representative Battalion of the Polish Army, an equivalent of Queen's Colour Squadron but covering all three branches of the military (air-sea-land); even got promoted to a Lance Corporal at the end of the service. OASC knows about it as it came up during my interview. I'm not sure what's the criteria of being assigned to QCS but maybe that's their little plan.

My fitness level is not yet ready for the challenge of going through J-Course but I passed the fitness test at OASC at the same level as the lower age bracket, so I'm not totally useless. I'm actually looking forward to pushing way beyond of what I'm capable of at the moment. I've started running to my gym every evening, 3.5 miles through parks over a rough ground; then I do an explosive workout and run back home 1.5 miles up the hill. I live in Bristol so I either run down or up, not much flat ground around here. I'm not a great swimmer so that's something I need to work on.

In October last year I went on a Potential Logistics Officer visit with the Royal Navy so I know how valuable PROC could be. I'll come prepared with a long list of questions (half of it from my wife) and try to 'grill' as many people as possible.

I'm naturally slightly worried about my wife and the little one but I strongly believe that living in the UK for the past 10 years has taught us to be very flexible and quickly adapt to new circumstances. Although I'm aware that joining the armed forces is not just taking on a new job, it's a complete change of a life style, there're obviously some things that will surprise us and perhaps put our relationship to the test. I believe this entire endeavor will make our lives better.

My interview is on 28th of April, it will only test my knowledge of the Regiment and my future role as an Officer. Then IOT in October and J-Course in July next year. Plenty of time to work on my fitness as long as I keep the momentum going.

I'll try to squeeze some info out of my local AFCO. I need to find out as much as I can about the J-course, the time line and all that good stuff. There's not enough time to go on a visit unfortunately but I should be able to find out everything I need to know to pass the interview.

Again, thank you for all your input and advice.

Just a quick update on my journey to become a RAF Regiment Officer.

I had a suitability interview on Friday and everything went very well. The Sqd Ldr conducting the interview wanted to know if I'm aware of what I'm getting myself into. He asked about PROC and JROC but I did my research and described both in good detail. I read on Students Room that those type of questions would not come up but in fact there were the only questions that I was asked. Just a note to everyone doing their research, go as broad as you can and do your facts checking; and most importantly remember that everybody's experience is specific to their application and circumstances. It is not always 100% the same for everyone.

In addition, a week before the interview I went to my local AFCO to get some materials and it turns out what they've given me is in some part outdated. There's no more skirmish at PROC and a few other details are wrong as well. Again, check and double check every bit of info you put your hands on.

I've been booked onto PROC on the 5th of June and if everything goes well I'll be loaded onto IOT in October. I was offered PROC in July and IOT in August but that would mean less time to get my affairs in order. It's not only me that's joining, my wife and 20 months old daughter are 'signing up' as well.

I'm not there yet and there's one more selection to go through and although I was told that judging by my performance so far I should pass PROC I'm stepping up my preparation even more.

So, that's it for now.

Cheers