• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Local/Mayoral Elections

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
For the first time I’m not choosing not to vote, I have always voted when able to do so in person in the past, what ever the election is for, however, this time I’m choosing not to.

I won’t vote for the Green Party, just won’t , the local independent was going to get my vote but then he endorsed the Green Party candidate in his leaflet so that changed that idea. (For a bit of history the last independent I voted for went on fastbuck the next day and aligned himself with the LiarDems)

The only other two candidates are out of area Tories who haven’t even bothered to post a leaflet through the door, so haven’t managed to convince me stop off and vote on m way to Poole.

I stopped voting years ago, mainly because candidates continually failed to prove they were worthy of my vote and I don't go along with all this tactical voting or voting for the least worst candidate bollosks. Now I've moved to a place where I believe I'm not even allow to vote post brexit, however, some Brits here are peeved they can no longer inflict their political views on the locals.

Last edited:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
No elections in my town, but I am following the ones in nearby Peterborough with interest. A work colleague is standing for the Tories in a ward where another work colleague is standing down as a Labour councillor. The retiring councillor had a thumping majority, but I suspect that my other colleague will get voted in with a thumping majority. Lets see if i'm right on Friday!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
No local elections near TB Towers so no real interest in proceedings elsewhere. Tories will get hammered I reckon maybe losing something in the region of 300/400 councillors across the piece. I've always had a keen interest in politics but the endless childish mud slinging about partygate, beer bottle gate, did SNP Nicola not wear a mask, did Angela go commando etc etc has me pretty bored with it all now.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
No elections here so not really interested. Even if there was, prospective councillors round here, apart from one, never bother their arses to go knocking on doors.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Non here either although I think the Tories are going to get humped sans lube where there are elections.

I too have scandal fatigue. They are all too busy trying to fcuk each other over to actually do anything useful or as promised that I wouldn’t know who to vote for given the chance.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I would say visions of 1997 when the Torys threw away any chance of winning through scandal after scandal. Waiting in the wings for Labour was a charismatic leader and the prospect of a new start. But comparing then to now the Shadow Cabinet, who should be taking full advantage by making the right noises and moves, is led by a plank of wood and the shadow cabinet doesn't instil confidence in me either.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Well the results are in. Don't really see anything significant on waking up. These mid-term small elections never really reflect what happens in a GE IMHO. Protest votes and all that!!!!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It will be spun by the parties to their own POV to fill the airwaves, whilst the gen pop will just get on with life

Dirge

LAC
Not had a single door knocker or leaflet pushed through the letterbox, went and voted anyway but turnout was only 30% with the "winners" only recording 2000 votes to get in.

fourteen2two

Corporal
We had prospective tory candidates come round and ask us if there were any issues we would like addressed.
Labour just stuck leaflets in the letter box.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I think these elections are an opportunity for voters to present their frustration in a more meaningful way than just moaning about it in the bog roll aisle in Asda. This is why we see the Libdems gaining some ground. That'll be Torys and Labour people venting their frustration for many reasons.

It'll be different at the next GE.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
No elections in my town, but I am following the ones in nearby Peterborough with interest. A work colleague is standing for the Tories in a ward where another work colleague is standing down as a Labour councillor. The retiring councillor had a thumping majority, but I suspect that my other colleague will get voted in with a thumping majority. Lets see if i'm right on Friday!

So - Labour party candidate got 1720 (1794 in 2018) votes and was elected.
Conservative candidate got 937 votes (601 in 2018) and wasnt elected.

This area has quite a large asian community, and I was interested to see how voters identified with the candidates, particularly as Labour fielded a non-asian and the tories fielded an asian, which was the opposite of 2018.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Well the results are in. Don't really see anything significant on waking up. These mid-term small elections never really reflect what happens in a GE IMHO. Protest votes and all that!!!!

These were elections from a time when Labour did quite well in 2018, so there was never going to be spectacular gains on their part. It was more a case of how the tories fared from a low base in 2018 - and they tanked.

The trend is towards the red wall being re-built, although not fully, and the Lib Dems to re-take SW England and some other areas where disaffected Tories cant bring themselves to vote for Labour. The two up-coming by-elections in Wakefield and Tiverton & Honiton will test that theory.

Based on what we saw , its a hung parliament with Labour having largest number of MPs and LD being Kingmaker is my guess.

Last edited:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
So - Labour party candidate got 1720 (1794 in 2018) votes and was elected.
Conservative candidate got 937 votes (601 in 2018) and wasnt elected.

This area has quite a large asian community, and I was interested to see how voters identified with the candidates, particularly as Labour fielded a non-asian and the tories fielded an asian, which was the opposite of 2018.
Smart move

In my experience and as a generality, Asians cannot stand immigrants.