• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lions home tour

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So the plan. If thousands of rugby union fans cannot travel to S.Africa, the Springboks come here and play 4 tour games in Dublin, Cardiff, Edinburgh and London plus 3 tests at Cardiff's Principality Stadium, Wembley and Twickenham in London. If the jabs are done in sufficient numbers there could be crowds, no crowds = reduced revenue.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I know someone down here who's spunked £8.5k on going to SA to watch all the tests and waved it under my nose.....hahahahahahahahahaha!

UlsterExile

Sergeant
The whole point of a tour is to go somewhere, I can see the argument for commercial purposes and with COVID-19 getting a second win in SA its a good option. But like the Olympics maybe put it off till 2022 which drops out of the 4 year cycle, the Olympics did it so why not the Lions.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The whole point of a tour is to go somewhere,
Seems there is a thought that the "Somewhere" could be Australia for the S. Africa v lions series

The Aussies seem to be on top of Covid. 2 weeks in a hotel similar to the current situation with the tennis players perhaps would work.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I have friends who have paid £8k for a hosted Lions tour in SA...I wonder how much that will go up by should it change to Oz?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
All change (Possibly) seems they are trying to go to S. Africa even if the games have no crowds due to Covid restrictions.

"We acknowledge that there is a significant amount of work still to be undertaken to deliver a robust COVID-19 countermeasure plan to ensure a successful, safe and uninterrupted Tour. SA Rugby will have our full support to help implement this plan. The statement added that it "remains unclear" whether spectators will be permitted to attend the Lions matches in South Africa"

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not going well, Covid problems

For the Lions opponents

And for the Springboks next game

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So they played and won the first test.
Thoughts of you rugby types on the victory?
How much of it was down to the fact that one of the Springbok props was ginger?

I was mainly watching the cricket and channel hopping but I seemed to turn over just in time for a protracted review in slow mo and replay, from a myriad of angles of something that the TMO had to clear up.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Based on the first 40 minutes of rather flat play from the Lions you could be excused in thinking that it was ging to be a fairly straightforward win for the Boks. The Lions did their best to keep in touch with them and off they marched for a halk-time orange segment.

Whatever Gatland said to them in the changer should be bottled! They came out with some fire in their bellies. Lawes and Itoge were awesome, never giving De Clerk the time he wanted and the ball at any ruck was in their eyeline. The difference was in recycling the phases when within kicking distance. The Boks eventually would infringe 80%+ of the time, giving Biggar a chance to reduce the deficit. The Lions try was a classic tourist catch and rive after choosing to ignore an almost certain 3 points, with LCD just about managing to ground the ball. If the Lions had demonstrated better discipline in the first half it may have been less tense in the last 20 mins.

All in all a good game to watch, between two teams willing to run for the full 80 and a set of tourists now with their tails up.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
S. African head honcho Rassie Erasmus complains about refereeing in video monologue. Complains, a bit more than a mere complaint it takes him 62 minutes to make sure his spleen is fully vented. He apparently finds 30 incidents where the Boks were unfairly treated and his captain was, in his view, also not given equal standing as the Lions Capt. So is it sour grapes and a damn good whinge or the old moan about the ref ploy to get more decisions given his teams way or does he indeed have a point.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's a sad state of affairs for the professional game. He should say 'Yes Sir' and walk away and that's all.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's a sad state of affairs for the professional game. He should say 'Yes Sir' and walk away and that's all.
Yes indeed whatever the game the man (or woman) in charge is the person in charge. Cricket I've been given LBW by umpires and thought that's going down leg, nothing said you just accept the decision and walk off, similarly when bowling I have appealed and the finger has gone up. Match officials are human beings and guess what their not always right but there's no game without them.