• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

linkedin veterans survey

Mag2grid

Corporal
It's a no from me as well. The 28 years were fun to start with but as they say 'its not the RAF i joined' and, in my opinion, it will never recover from the downward spirral the MOD started with redundencies a few years back and are now regreting their actions by dangling a rather tastless carrot.

I only did 5 years and having recently experienced the "full time RAF" it isn't even that same as it was in 2011. Would I go back now......nope.

fourteen2two

Corporal
I would not go back.Too old anyway,having too much fun being retired for second time! Second career in teaching.Deffo not going back to that even part time-despite shortages of maths/science teachers,which I taught.
:pDT_Xtremez_28:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Nothing's ever the same, don't know why I'd go back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Being 'in' is a state of mind. Once you have left you steadily lose the will to put up with being fecked around and doing things that some of the time hardly make sense....In other words the mild brain-washing or conditioning you went through wears off and you realise that life isn't really like how it is on the inside.

Most of us do better when out in terms of remuneration...so you have to factor in the affordability of returning. You also have to consider your family and their will to go back into a situation that might mean moving or quarters or you being away during the week.

Empowerment and responsibilities also factor. You might have risen quickly on the outside but will have to return in you old rank which may now mean quite menial responsibilities compared to your current civvy role.

So losing x thousands a year, potentially uprooting your family and going back on tools stores or t-bar then a stint of gate guard really doesn't sell it....

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I don't know much about FTRs, but having tasted (what i see as) the good life outside it would amaze me that people would want to go back into military servitude again...just my opinion.

I sort of agree with this, and for sure I wouldn't have gone in for any job - but FTRS isn't really that onerous and is much more of an agreement with the MOD than service life - just with free socks. TBH, PTVR is mush more military. I absolutely love it.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
My mates just been offered to re-sign he's been offered the same wages as Wayne Rooney, his pick of any quarter that he can keep when he's finished, an allowance that equals his wife's salary, no rules CEA and an immunity from any sexual harrasment cases as he will get Rachel Riley as a live in PA. Oh it's also on flexitime with a no deployment unless its Vegas clause. He still turned it down because they wouldn't guarantee free black socks.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I sort of agree with this, and for sure I wouldn't have gone in for any job - but FTRS isn't really that onerous and is much more of an agreement with the MOD than service life - just with free socks. TBH, PTVR is mush more military. I absolutely love it.
Long as it's for you and you're happy then enjoy it as long as you can.

I worked alongside the reserves and the amount of politics, unethical behaviour and brown nosing that went on with certain factions of the FTRS community really put me off.

PTRS less so for those with or planned to do short stints to get it out of their system, but very similar with the long timers.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Digzster

Sergeant
Let me think about this:-

1 Can I go golfing whenever I want?

2. Can I fish whenever I want?

3. Can I stay in bed if I want?

4. Can I tell tossers what I think of them to their face with no recriminations?

ALL YES.

Why would I want to go back in?

ktuludays

LAC

4. Can I tell tossers what I think of them to their face with no recriminations?

ALL YES.

Nailed it!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer

ALL YES.

Seconded (insert online gaming for golf though!).