• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lightning

B

Biggles.

Thought it was about time we had a thread on the wonderful Lightning, so having found a video on You Tube I thought i would post it. Was a wonderful aircraft to work with and fantastic to see them Q Scramble and intercept. Was nice to be part of the Last Laugh Lightning show in 87 at Binbrook and see them do a 9 ship display when the Reds said it was to overcast. Mind a Diamond 9 of frightenings on re heat coming over the hangar line certainly made you jump.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Thought it was about time we had a thread on the wonderful Lightning, so having found a video on You Tube I thought i would post it. Was a wonderful aircraft to work with and fantastic to see them Q Scramble and intercept. Was nice to be part of the Last Laugh Lightning show in 87 at Binbrook and see them do a 9 ship display when the Reds said it was to overcast. Mind a Diamond 9 of frightenings on re heat coming over the hangar line certainly made you jump.

74 were doing full 9 ship displays when the Reds were only a twinkle in the Air Minsteries eye! (So was the MOD for that matter!):pDT_Xtremez_30:

Ah yes!

Ah yes!

I too was lucky enough to be at Binbrook for the last last lightning show. I remember well the rain that started just as the gates opened and stopped just after the show stopped. I also remember watching the last singleton display aircraft being towed back to the line after landing as the winged master being flying it (allegedly) didn't have enough fuel to taxi back. Hell of a first posting being inviolved, albeit in a small way,with such a wonderful beast. Also the sight of the flypast at the last APC will stick in the mind as long as strongbow intake allows. Wish we could see one flying again without going to S. Africa.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ah, I was there.

Ah, I was there.

Yes, I was there for the farewell airshow at Binbrook in '87. I was a spotty 17 year old, still thinking about joining-up. The take off routine was amazing to watch and would no doubt be prohibited in this day and age. Was able to have a nosy around an empty lower engine compartment. I remember thinking that all of this "stuff" put together makes it go(now you know why I became a fairy). Not long after that I applied to join up.

How many aircraft were available to ensure that 9 went? Anyone know?

L

Lord Azrael

I was there at Binbrook with my family right until the end. We were one of the last families out of there, the orads were deserted!
Dad was a Corporal stacker at the time and I was just starting secondary school in Market Rasen.
Those were real aircraft, nothing like watching them take off and go vertical straight off!
I believe there is still one at the old base today, but it is only allowed to taxi, as the MoD won't permit anything non-military that fast to fly here!
Probably more concerned it would show up most of the tin cans we have nowadays!:pDT_Xtremez_27:
There is one you can fly in South Africa though, if you have the money, about £6,000 I think....

C

Chuffybum

Lightning

Ahhhh the good old lightning. What an aircraft, what a take off. Pity it could only stay airborne for 10 nanoseconds though.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I believe there is still one at the old base today, but it is only allowed to taxi, as the MoD won't permit anything non-military that fast to fly here!

XR724 i believe......

I was also there for the last, last lightning show and still have the programme somewhere.

Crack on............:pDT_Xtremez_09:

G

grumpyoldb

This is the Binbrook Lightning.........................

Last edited:

fatbaldchief

Corporal
Fantastic video!

Great to see the Scramble from Golf Dispersal at Akrotiri and see offs from Lineys in shorts and flip flops!!

Those days are gone but not forgotten. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

B

Biggles.

That isnt as bad as this one on the A1 just by Newark. That has now been wrecked andcovered in graffiti.

Attachments

• lightning.jpg
    lightning.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
I did hear from a bloke in the pub that they are trying to get the Lightning at Binbrook working again.

Just before Xmas they tried to get the engine started, but it wouldnt fire.

Apparently there is an association of old techies that are having a brain scratching session trying to figure out how to get it work.

flash

LAC
My 13 year old found the same clip on you tube a few days ago. He was that impressed he now has it on his BEBO. Good to see the yoof of today have some taste.

TACAN

Corporal
That isnt as bad as this one on the A1 just by Newark. That has now been wrecked andcovered in graffiti.

Now that really has spoilt my day, honestly and truly.

Sad I know, but for months I used to take a lengthy detour just so I didn't have to drive past the old girl on the A1. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
What they have done to the one on the A1 is appalling. One of the greatest aircraft to take to the skies and the chavvy wankers have trashed it!

B

Biggles.

Well lets have a look at her in her former glory.

Attachments

• lightning 2.jpg
    lightning 2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
  • lightning 3.jpg
    lightning 3.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0