• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leave entitlement

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
My exit date is 4 Apr 18. How much leave will I be entitled to from the 18/19 leave year?
I've been told a third by HR but they weren't sure?!? Chief Clerk is looking into it.
What do Goaters know? Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin Blank

Sergeant
from my calculation when I left you will get whatever you carry over, your terminal leave, resettlement and maybe a day from your new leave year.
as leave runs from end of march to end of march it will be an aggeregation of your 38 days divided by 12 months or 52 weeks whichever way they calculate it, cant see them giving you 1/3 of your annual for 4 days in work
stand by for scribbly to shoot me down!!!!

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Service personnel joining or leaving the Service are eligible for leave on a proportionate basis. For example, when personnel join the Services part way through the Leave Year their Annual Leave allocation will be calculated using the formula: number of days left in the leave year divided by 365 (366 in a leap year) and multiplied by 38. Similarly, the Annual Leave allocation for personnel who plan to leave the Services part way through the leave year will be calculated using the formula: number of days from the beginning of the leave year to the date of exit from the Service divided by 365 (366 in a leap year) and multiplied by 38. The resulting figure will then be adjusted accordingly to reflect the number of Annual Leave days already taken. In both cases any resultant fractions should be rounded up to the next complete day. Periods of unpaid absence do not count when calculating Annual Leave. The Service person will see the amendment to their ALA when they apply for the Individual Leave Allowance the first time after an amended date of arriving/leaving the Service has been entered into JPA.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Doesnt the leave year start in April?

If so, you are only working 4 days of that year, so if pro rata'd Id say you will prob get about half an hour off :)

FOMz

Warrant Officer

If so, you are only working 4 days of that year, so if pro rata'd Id say you will prob get about half an hour off :)

Make sure you claim that half an hour off then... :pDT_Xtremez_14:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Has it changed recently? If not your last x number of days are terminal leave so it's hard to take this small fraction of leave.

Also if you've done it right you've got plenty of leave to take so this rounded up leave allowance shouldn't worry you.

If you've got plenty of spare time and a bit of money to waste you could try taking the RAF to an ET to get the financial equivalent of one days wage, or you could just write it off and move on.

Good luck for the future.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant

Like Sniffer says!

If you really want to get your money's worth though, just work out when your last offical work day is, then on that day, turn up and hand your ID card in at 0800. Technically, as you've turned up, you have 'been on duty' that day...

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
(18/365)*30 = 1.479, which should be rounded up to 2 days annual.

Don't forget that Easter Monday is 2 Apr 18, so you wont need to account for that when working out what to use where.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
(18/365)*30 = 1.479, which should be rounded up to 2 days annual.

Don't forget that Easter Monday is 2 Apr 18, so you wont need to account for that when working out what to use where.

Using the guidance in the JSP I got (4/365)*38 = 0.41

Which you round up to one whole day.

Bank holidays are already accounted for in the original allocation of 38 days.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Using the guidance in the JSP I got (4/365)*38 = 0.41

Which you round up to one whole day.

Bank holidays are already accounted for in the original allocation of 38 days

Doh! For some reason I'd read it as a discharge of 18 Apr and forgotten that the RAF still expect people to take leave on a Bank Holiday!

However, I suspect that as Good Friday falls on 30 March 2018, then you will have 39 days this year and 37 next year. I shudder to think how many will take that 39th day before 30 March and then whinge they have no leave left to cover Good Friday 2018!

This happened a few years ago - my unit was the only one at Wittering that had sorted their sh!t out and put everyone on leave for the day well in advance, and explained why. Cue my Wg Cdr getting very smug with OC Pens and telling her that he would be giving everyone the day back if one single person in her wing was given a gash day for mismanaging their leave!

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Has it changed recently? If not your last x number of days are terminal leave so it's hard to take this small fraction of leave.

Also if you've done it right you've got plenty of leave to take so this rounded up leave allowance shouldn't worry you.

If you've got plenty of spare time and a bit of money to waste you could try taking the RAF to an ET to get the financial equivalent of one days wage, or you could just write it off and move on.

Reputations are hard earned and easily lost. As a shiny, I could help 100 people, but a "fcuk the workers" comment like this from another shiny would undo everything I had done.

Its your leave and your entitlement. You have earned it. Take every single day/hour/minute of it.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Reputations are hard earned and easily lost. As a shiny, I could help 100 people, but a "fcuk the workers" comment like this from another shiny would undo everything I had done.

Its your leave and your entitlement. You have earned it. Take every single day/hour/minute of it.

Bit harsh there MWD, I left on the 3rd of April and was told quite categorically that as my last 28 days were terminal leave I just had to suck it up and move on. As i actually had my last day in the office pre chrimbo I didn't give a toss. Over the previous 22 years I'd certainly had more than a day, probably more like months, worth of gash time, hence my comment of just moving on.

You'd actually have a good chance of success if you took it to a tribunal, the last one I witnessed the guy was claiming for thousands and compensation for this and that, in the end his arguments were laughable and the only thing he got compensated for was the leave he was owed.

Was it worth it, certainly not for TSS who had a team of 5 who spent all day in the court, and the guy shot himself in the foot and lost the case on his own. Probably was worth it for the guy as he got a weeks worth of money and seemed quite happy with that.

Can't see the **** the workers comment in mine, but hey, if that's how you read it.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Bit harsh there MWD, I left on the 3rd of April and was told quite categorically that as my last 28 days were terminal leave I just had to suck it up and move on. As i actually had my last day in the office pre chrimbo I didn't give a toss. Over the previous 22 years I'd certainly had more than a day, probably more like months, worth of gash time, hence my comment of just moving on.

You'd actually have a good chance of success if you took it to a tribunal, the last one I witnessed the guy was claiming for thousands and compensation for this and that, in the end his arguments were laughable and the only thing he got compensated for was the leave he was owed.

Was it worth it, certainly not for TSS who had a team of 5 who spent all day in the court, and the guy shot himself in the foot and lost the case on his own. Probably was worth it for the guy as he got a weeks worth of money and seemed quite happy with that.

Can't see the **** the workers comment in mine, but hey, if that's how you read it.

Many moons ago - in fact it was in 1995, there was a SNCO at PSF who had miscalculated one of my Sqn's TM's leave pre-redundancy. He had used his own version of the official formula and then rounded it down, and the Chf was three days less than I had calculated using what the AP told me and then rounding up.

I asked this SNCO very politely as to how he'd come to his answer and when I (again politely) explained that my answer was different, his response was, and I quote "You Sqn types get enough time off anyway". I politely told this SNCO that he was wrong and with that sort of attitude, it was no wonder that PSF was considered to be sh1t. He then kicked off to my FS, who reiterated that he was wrong and with that sort of attitude, it was no wonder PSF was sh1t.

The individual concerned made it to WO, was our Trade sponsor for a while and then took a commission. Either he heeded the sage words from my FS and changed his ways, or my former trade promoted w@nkers with an unhelpful, "fcuk the workers" attitude. I hope it was the former.

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Interesting about being paid the untaken leave as a guy left here resently with about a weeks leave as his terminal resettlement etc had been miscalculated.
I had heard about the repayment and told him to go and ask but PSF here denied it and he basically was just told to walk away.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
I leave in May '19 and have already calculated my leave (without resettlement) to make my absolute last working day the 29 March 2019.

As has been said, its the individuals entitlement, and all the information is in the JSP 760 which is freely available...

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
Cheers all for the info. HR confirmed today that I am entitled to 0.41 days leave for 18/19. They said that JPA will round it up to 1 day...result!

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Cheers all for the info. HR confirmed today that I am entitled to 0.41 days leave for 18/19. They said that JPA will round it up to 1 day...result!

win! Nice to see the system working in someone's favour for a change (at less than half a day, I'm amazed they didn't round it down to 0)

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
win! Nice to see the system working in someone's favour for a change (at less than half a day, I'm amazed they didn't round it down to 0)

Against contract law to round down leave, something I was told back in 1990.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Being a typical woman Im going to say "told you so" at post #9 😂

God I do love being right!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk