• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ladies Fitness

P

pink_princess

I've been going to the gym every night to prepair me for Halton and I still don't think i'll ever get the strength in my upper body thats expected.

I'm a small, petite 21 year old and I really struggle with press ups, I've tried by doing box ones first then moving on to the full body ones but I can only do about 2. I'm going to Halton on the 29th of Jan for the first time (I don't start basic training until March 18th) and i'm worried that I wont be as fit as the other women that are there.

any advise?

sorry if this has been posted before, I did check the search facility.

x

tag_lincoln

Corporal
Try holding the prone position for as long as you can, it improves your core strength, also speak to one of the instructors at the gym and ask for exercises that will improve strength in that area (or ask the RAF PTIs on your visit). A little bit at a time and next time you try your press ups hopefully you'll see an improvement. Don't try your press ups every night as you'll just be fatigued.
Don't forget that the PTIs job at Halton is to get you fit, as long as you don't turn up a complete lardy and can put the effort in based on preparation then they will have something to work on.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Practice is the key. You will be surprised as to how quickly your upper body strength will improve. Also using a variety of weights lifting exercises will help, rather than just doing press ups.

However, when I say weights I dont mean the little girly pink dumbells. Get to the "big boy" area in the gym and get some decent weights.

Something along the lines of:

Bicep curls: 3 sets of 12 reps with one minute rest in between each set of 12.

Bent over rows: 3 sets of 12 reps with one minute rest in between each set of 12.

Bench presses: 3 sets of 12 reps with one minute rest in between each set of 12.

Military presses: 3 sets of 12 reps with one minute rest in between each set of 12.

Do that 3 times a week before any cardio, and you will see an improvement in no time.

D

DRK5390

also dont just beat around the bush doing 3 sets of 10 press ups for example that doesnt really increase your strength. im slim built (male) but the best way i see my press up numbers go up is to do the maximum i can each night with a rest on sunday! i can squeeze out 30, and with my skinny arms thats good.

also if you do them at home heres a trick: find a book which is the same height as your clenched fist when resting on the floor and use that to do your press ups onto, even though i think the RAF PTI's use "elbows on the floor with fist at 90 degrees?"

D

dodgysootie

Try running up a hill whilst dragging an old car tyre, this will improve your inner strength. For added stamina repeat the above while wearing an old World War 2 Gas mask.

Hope this helps

DS

Boots

LAC
What gives in when you do your press ups? Arms or tummy.

If you stuggle pushing yourself back after getting down ok, take the weight training advise, mostly to build tricep and chest strength.

If you end up in butt in the air or tummy on the deck take tag's prone advise, (elbows on the deck fists forward, toes ointed and hold for 30 secs for maybe 4 or more times with 60sec rest periods.)

Be aware of your hand position when your doing your press ups though. Try to alter it once your happy you can do 10 in your most natural position, i.e. wide as pos to rip cage width and also hands butted together. You'll find you struggle with these to begin but the benifits are alround better strenght which won't come in wrong.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
also dont just beat around the bush doing 3 sets of 10 press ups for example that doesnt really increase your strength. im slim built (male) but the best way i see my press up numbers go up is to do the maximum i can each night with a rest on sunday! i can squeeze out 30, and with my skinny arms thats good.

also if you do them at home heres a trick: find a book which is the same height as your clenched fist when resting on the floor and use that to do your press ups onto, even though i think the RAF PTI's use "elbows on the floor with fist at 90 degrees?" WTF are you on about? I don't know anyone who can do press ups with their elbows on the floor

Blasting your arm muscles night after night is going to do more harm than good. Your muscles need time to rest and repair, i'd go for every other night.
But what do I know? I'm only a qualified weights instructor.

P

pink_princess

Thanks for the advice. Running up a hill with a tyre attached to me? Haha I don't want to look like Arnie, just to have a little more upper body strength!
:)

Weedy23

LAC
I had the same problem pink_princess. I found that working a bit harder on my triceps really helped my press ups. I couldn't do 2 full press ups when I started, now I'm able to do 20 before I collapse in a heap!

garside

LAC
One way ive been taught is to do as many as you can to start with, then every time you do pressups add another 1 or 2 on, might not sound like much but if you only added 1 on each time and was doing pressups 3 times a week by the time you start halton youll have added about 24.
(not actually sure how many weeks it is till halton, im just guessing about 8)

Just keep at it, it may take a while to see some improvements but dont give up!!

Your not gonna be expected to be superfit for halton, they will work on your fitness as the course goes on. (Thats what people keep telling me anyways)

F

favouritekid

:pDT_Xtremez_09::pDT_Xtremez_19::pDT_Xtremez_19:Hey pink_princess, I've just received my dates through today...i'll be there 18th March too! Don't worry i'm stressing out loads about the fitness part too, I think just doing as much as you can and pushing yourself without overdoing it is the best you can do...after all as everyone says they're looking for people to perform at their personal best...not to Paula Radcliffs best (thank god!).

How did you find the PJFT!?! Had issues with push ups too, but the fitness instructor i had was absolutely brilliant!

Are you on facebook? There's a Halton page on there!

Well, see you at Halton! :D

Take care x