• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knackered Old WOs - A Question!

• Thread starter You Can Call Me Al
  • Start date
Y

You Can Call Me Al

If the controlling side of TG 9 is going to be populated by an increasing number of younger NCOs, how should the problem of having (potentially) more senior ranks filled for a very long time be addressed?

As an example; airperson joins as a FT, arrives on JATCC after about 5 years, passes JATCC and validates within 12 months. I reckon we have now got a Sgt who is, possibly, only 24. Assuming they are an average Joe (Joess), they could be knocking on the door of FS by the age of 29 and, indeed, WO by about 34/35. Should that happen, Joe could be a WO for 20 years. Very nice for those who get there, but what about those following?

Are we going to see people leaving in droves to use their ESARR5 accreditation and control in the civil world?

T

The Controller

You Can Call Me Al said:
If the controlling side of TG 9 is going to be populated by an increasing number of younger NCOs, how should the problem of having (potentially) more senior ranks filled for a very long time be addressed?

As an example; airperson joins as a FT, arrives on JATCC after about 5 years, passes JATCC and validates within 12 months. I reckon we have now got a Sgt who is, possibly, only 24. Assuming they are an average Joe (Joess), they could be knocking on the door of FS by the age of 29 and, indeed, WO by about 34/35. Should that happen, Joe could be a WO for 20 years. Very nice for those who get there, but what about those following?

Are we going to see people leaving in droves to use their ESARR5 accreditation and control in the civil world?

WO by 34/35?.....obviously a little slow in their career development then????:p May I be so bold as to inquire about YouCanCallMeAl's promotion trail?:rolleyes:

Y

You Can Call Me Al

In response - my promotions seemed to come along at the same time as my appearances in the Honours Lists!!

As a follow-up Q - why are there not more WOs going for brain-removal? (I know, I know, not much point in removing something that's already dead!)
:D

T

The Controller

Little and Large?? Doh!!!
Foot and Mouth?? Double-Doh!:rolleyes:

Y

You Can Call Me Al

Bah!

Bah!

I am not going to lower myself by entering into a childish toing and froing which merely serves to undermine my original questions!

Drawing stupid parallels between people and things which have no relevance is neither big nor clever.

So there.

Last edited:
Y

You Can Call Me Al

Oh alright

Oh alright

_40803519_grantphil_300.jpg
The Mitchell Brothers!
:cool:

I

insideinfoman

My God is there 2 of you then? Now that is frightening :eek:

S

Standards

You Can Call Me Al said:

I do not think the problem of people holding up those behind them in terms of promotion is restricted to our TG. There are those in many trades who are signed on for 22 years or until age 47/55 who no longer have the desire or drive to push up a rank. These people may well hold up others who do have the desire and drive and who may well decide to leave the service because of this stagnation. That is, in my opinion, an issue that needs addressing.

Just saying

Standards!

Stax

Flight Sergeant
You Can Call Me Al said:
_40803519_grantphil_300.jpg
The Mitchell Brothers!
:cool:

Sorry to go off thread slightly but..........

Prior to christmas Mrs Stax was in MVC/Virgin/whatever looking for CD's for my lad. She asked the pimply youth behind the counter for the CD by the guys off Eastenders, not realising that the Mitchell Brothers are two black British rappers who work closely with the Streets (who is actually only one pimply white youth in a burberry cap!)

Laugh? I didn't dare!

Y

You Can Call Me Al

who no longer have the desire or drive to push up a rank
Does that mean that we should adopt the Army position of being able to lose a rank if an ACR is not sufficiently good? Look around you - how many of the people you work with are cutting the mustard in their rank? Would their performance improve if they knew that they had to maintain some sort of impetus?
BTW - I should perhaps replace the 'you' above with 'one' - I am not pointing any fingers in any specific direction.

Wassa 'rapper'?
who work closely with the Streets
Are you saying that they are gentlemen who busk for a living? Most distasteful (IMHO).

Last edited:
S

Standards

You Can Call Me Al said:
Does that mean that we should adopt the Army position of being able to lose a rank if an ACR is not sufficiently good? Look around you - how many of the people you work with are cutting the mustard in their rank? Would their performance improve if they knew that they had to maintain some sort of impetus?
BTW - I should parhaps replace the 'you' above with 'one' - I am not pointing any fingers in any specific direction.

Not sure what you mean about the "you and one" part, I will leave that to think about.

As for the other point, I do not think that the Army way would improve matters at all. Perhaps only offering people a limited signing on extension, ie person gets promoted to Cpl after (lets say laughingly) 6 years, If they are signed on for 9 at the time, offer them 3 extra years of service. This could mean that if they did want to carry on up the ranks they would have to continue to prove their worth. If they did not they would know that their service ended at the 12 year point. Carry this on with the next rank, get to Sgt before 12 years, offer another extension and so on.

I am not saying that what I have written is the solution, but a possible one. Before you shoot me down in flames, have a think about it first and you may see that the theory is sound, but as always.....the practical will need some work!

Standards!

Y

You Can Call Me Al

A viable solution (peut etre).

Shock horror - no flames!
;)

S

Standards

Strange how alliances form isn't it. Once common ground has been found!

Standards!

Y

You Can Call Me Al

Ah, but 'twill soon be 12th night! I'm just waiting, patiently, for the next load of twaddle to appear (which it surely will). Controller - you listenin'?
:p