• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Junior Ranks Mess at RAF Brize Norton

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The closure of the JRM has only improved meals for JR's temporarily because they are forced to travel to the Gateway (Over a mile away and a trek without transport) where you have food that has been prepared to the standard required for SNCO's and Officers to eat as they too eat in the Gateway. That is the reason why meal quality has improved but it is not like it has improved for the benefit of JR, it is at that standard because of the hierarchy also eating there. What needs to happen is money pumped into the JR mess fast (2 years waiting time for repairs is absurd considering we can fire a few missiles at IS in less than a minute at the cost of a couple of million.

Ah, but that is a different budget.......::/:

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
Was at Brize (singlely house Argosy Road near Reg Flight) 2000-05 and the JRM was pretty good. Even from my side of the base... The Gateway was still a pain to walk to. Yet at least the bar there was cheap

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Was at Brize (singlely house Argosy Road near Reg Flight) 2000-05 and the JRM was pretty good. Even from my side of the base... The Gateway was still a pain to walk to. Yet at least the bar there was cheap

I used to live along Argosy a couple of years before you. Are they still in use, do you know? They were a bit minging even then but at the same time, at least you weren't in the block.

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
Started off in one of the Box Room Devon Place hovels, before moving downstairs to the front room, which wasn't too bad as I had full use of the kitchen/storage area. And then ended up in Argosy which was twice the size. Could have been worse... I managed to avoid the flats near the Families Naafi, and whatever that pub use to be called.. Can remember the Bee Dive and Deviator/Eagle, but never the name of the other one.. Osprey?? Got offered a room at the new Slam blocks near the JRM, but it would have been opposite the dog section.. If living right next the edge of the runway (i do miss the mighty roar....) wasn't bad enough, I wasn't going to give up a room twice the size to hear dogs barking all bloody morning after working a night shift.

Last edited:

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Junior Ranks Mess at RAF Brize Norton

...whatever that pub use to be called.. Can remember the Bee Dive and Deviator/Eagle, but never the name of the other one.. Osprey?? .

Yes, The Osprey. Have some memories of that place, not all of them positive. Is it still there?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Yes, The Osprey. Have some memories of that place, not all of them positive. Is it still there?

No its a pile of wasteland now..........

cleared out for all the 'new' FMQs they promised at Brize... that were quietly forgotten about and never built.

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
No its a pile of wasteland now..........

cleared out for all the 'new' FMQs they promised at Brize... that were quietly forgotten about and never built.

I think they were not built due to the fact of having to be 30% social housing.

Mr SCJ

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm back home to Brize this weekend so I will eat in the OM and the Gateway as I have the choice and will do a consumer food survey to keep fellow goaters informed I will also go to the gym in prep for my fitness test even though I'm downgraded and then go home to clean my house and trim my sidies. I will check that my TV licence is paid and then estimate the cost of having to move all of us should I get my assignment changed to DMS(W):pDT_Xtremez_15:

Off TopicPenfold I was with you all the way until this bit "I will also go to the gym" First time for everything I suppose.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So where are junior ranks eating, Is there no messing at all for them?

If it's PAYD and the pattern at the secret West midlands training base is being repeated then their eating at subway, pizza hut or McDonald's. Supplemented with trips to stock up on low cost micro wave capable junk from ASDA with the occasional tea bar pot noodle for variety.

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
I think the Osprey closed down when the Chef asked for some kitchen improvements and the owners told him to ram it. So he bubbled them to h&s. Closed down pretty sharpish after that.

Munkey

LAC
Wasn't it always anyway?!?

No great loss if it's gone.

That and a Jailbait trap. Most lasses that went there on Fri/Sat night were under the age of 18.

IIRC wasn't it bought by the guy from Auf Weidersen Pet, or at least that's the story I remember?

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
The Osprey also got trashed a few times by Marines passing through Brize.