• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jubilee - Much Interest in your Area?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I can remember the Silver Jubilee as a kid. Most every area/estate in my town had a street party. Food, sports days and game followed by music and drunken Dad-dancing in the street.

I looked at an article that listed applications to close streets for a party and in my town there was one…for a cul-de-sac.

Is there a general malaise for this one? Royals losing their appeal (Andrew/Harry as contributory factors)? People too skint to shell out?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Im working 3 out of the 4 day weekend and on the other day my wife & son are working. There is nothing planned on my estate, which is a blessing, as the tenant next door is a cnut of the highest order and would probably be there spouting his shite.

There was going to be a Jubilee concert to raise money for charity not far from where I live on an island in the med. Due to protests by some locals the charities and some of the local acts have withdrawn so I believe it's going to be a more intimate affair on a pongo base now.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Centre of the village is covered in union jack flags and yards of bunting but it's carnival soon and thats what usually goes up for that event, perhaps the flags are pulling double duty Jubilee and Carnival. The local ladies hairdressers is covered in flags, posters of royalty and life size pictures of Betty Windsor but thats probably more to do with the owner than civic pride. Aside from that not seen or heard much outward interest around here certainly no talk of street parties or similar.

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
There are various bits and pieces of things going on around the village I call home on the wild west coast of Cumbria , bunting going up, a bit of a do in the village hall, etc. Personally I'll be doing my bit of volunteer work at our local heritage narrow gauge railway to keep the trains working and so keeping the punters happy. On a personal note, number of f""ks given = 0

fourteen2two

Corporal
Some stuff organised in town centre park. Some local centres have bunting etc up. Lots of plastic flags for sale, probably made in China and destined for later binning!
We are off over the Channel in a couple of weeks for 5 weeks. More interested in that.

Deltaitem

Corporal
I'm not sure what's happening around here, but to be honest, celebrating the jubilee's not on my priority list.

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Would that be La'al Ratty?
It sure is Vim. I've been a volunteer mechanic since taking early retirement from the top secret atom plant up the way from La'al Rarry. Back to my roots as a fitter/mech engineer after too many years driving a desk and almost as many years as an Auggie

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Sent a very few down to Halton for the parade thingy. Most ppl around here have their own village events which they're being encouraged to represent the blue at.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It sure is Vim. I've been a volunteer mechanic since taking early retirement from the top secret atom plant up the way from La'al Rarry. Back to my roots as a fitter/mech engineer after too many years driving a desk and almost as many years as an Auggie
Part of my childhood seeing it putter along on Sunday drives out.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The local council have arranged a couple of large park-based events but we will be going to a street party arranged by a friend and some of their neighbours in their cul-de-sac on Saturday and then on Sunday we're out at a steam traction engine rally at a local museum with my wife's choir so, no doubt, there will be some jubilee elements to that event.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
There's a beacon being lit at 2130 in Cambridge on the mound on Thu - might just pop along after a PM sesh in the Pickeril with Doris and feel the love.

(...after Top Gun, of course)