• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

JPA Question

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
As a newly Ordained Reverend (Ordination Certificate will be provided showing proof), am I allowed to have the name Rev (Rank) Sir Salty Helmet on my pay chit?

Bless you all

Amen

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Too much LOA

Too much LOA

Have you been bored and tried for me?

If you had mate it so, then I would have brought you donuts

They are obviously paying you far too much LOA if you've money to waste on this kind of thing.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
As a newly Ordained Reverend (Ordination Certificate will be provided showing proof), am I allowed to have the name Rev (Rank) Sir Salty Helmet on my pay chit?

Bless you all

Amen

Acknowledging the humorous nature of your post. The simple answer would be no as inclusion of the term Rev (rank) is not to acknowledge the holder's qualification - otherwise medical doctors and others with academic doctorates would be know as Dr (rank).

The use in the Chaplains Branch of the RAF is to reflect that RAF Chaplains do not hold a rank. The inclusion of a rank after their ecclesiastical title reflects their relative rank it should not be used as a form of address. Although, as commissioned officers RAF chaplains are entitled to the compliments of an officer of their relative rank. QR839(2)(g) and Debrett's Correct Form refers.

So, in sum:

I am assuming that you hold a rank; therefore, you should be addressed as such.

RAF Chaplains do not hold a rank; therefore, are addressed by their ecclesiastical titles.​

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
If RAF padre's don't hold rank...................... why do they wear it?

But back to the original point, the civil serpant agency Mrs FOMz works for.... they can (and do) have two titles on their paychit.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
If RAF padre's don't hold rank...................... why do they wear it?

Because the rank opens doors, rightly or wrongly. Interestingly, RN padres don't have any rank at all - protocol is that they assume equal rank to whoever they are talking to. Army, typically, put the rank first and it's the 'Reverend' part that goes in brackets.

But back to the original point, the civil serpant agency Mrs FOMz works for.... they can (and do) have two titles on their paychit.

I'm sure the JPA software could be changed to reflect SSH's new positon in life but since he is not being employed by the RAF in a pastoral capacity the change to his title would be aesthetic only and would probably not be assessed as a proper use of public money.

OldMedic

Corporal
Slightly off topic, but I don't recall officers using post-nominals years ago, whereas now you often see "Sq. Ldr. XXXXXX MA", for example - is this unofficial or something new?

Maybe the officers I knew weren't all that well qualified?