• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joining the RAF in 1981 at age 16.5 and joining now 2024....How has it changed?

norfolkred1

Sergeant
If you weren't going on Expeds/Staff Rides you were in a job in the RAF. Those extras made it into a lifestyle. Those folks staying at work moaning didn't know how the system worked.

They all took a fair bit of organising though and H&S slowly took away some of the opportunities as you graduallly needed more and more qualified and certified leaders for activities. Wasn't impossible to do though and once you had a circle of qualified leaders in your pocket you could pretty much go anywhere.
We used to work 4 on 4 off so arranged visits as a watch. Based in Norfolk and traveled to Kinloss for experience flights around 1984, well before all this gubbins on H+S, we just a decent boss who signed it all off, warrants and all.

foxOneFive

Corporal
Loved being part of the station fishing team. Wednesday afternoon match practice. LOL
Yeah, remember it well in the 80/90's. We had the whole Wed off due to having to drive a fair distance and the match being 5 hours long, sure claimed petrol money back too :) Then there was the day off for college in my last 5 years checking out all the local totty.....Them dam cold war years were a struggle

fourteen2two

Corporal
Not a sporty type but had several years day release for college. HNC and degree. Did benefit me in service job and definitely helped in second career.
I did do a few expeds in UK and a ski course in Germany!