• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joining at 29

Rekal24

LAC
Hi, im a female age 29, I'm trying to join as an aircraft tech(m), I'm just awaiting my security clearance.
Does anyone have any experience of joining late and what I could expect. Plenty of people are trying to be honest with me and say that it is likely I could be treated like a child and be given terrible jobs for years. Which is no problem, do not mind jobs of any sort. But I don't want to be miserable and am leaving a job I enjoy for something I've really always wanted to do. But I don't want my expectations to be vastly different from the reality.

I appreciate any honest non judgemental advice :)

thank you.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Hi, im a female age 29, I'm trying to join as an aircraft tech(m), I'm just awaiting my security clearance.
Does anyone have any experience of joining late and what I could expect. Plenty of people are trying to be honest with me and say that it is likely I could be treated like a child and be given terrible jobs for years. Which is no problem, do not mind jobs of any sort. But I don't want to be miserable and am leaving a job I enjoy for something I've really always wanted to do. But I don't want my expectations to be vastly different from the reality.

I appreciate any honest non judgemental advice :)

thank you.

Hi there, as an ATM of 26 years I can tell you that no one will treat you as a child. Training is training and you will have to expect to go through the training machine, just like Halton its a lot of BS but part of your training will be to ensure you are competent when you come out of training, your first few years will be on a flight line getting cold and wet and probably seeing some of the world, potentially for upto 6 months, if on OPS. after you return to Cosford to complete your ATM training you can expect a second line tour in a Bay somewhere or if your lucky a return to a Sqn.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I think its fair to say that you will sometimes during basic or professional training be in the company of some that act like children and or aren't very old but its those situations where you'll learn to cope with their actions. Joining as a more mature recruit in many ways can help you...You may have got over the need for 21 hours sleep a day, you may be able to sew a button on, iron a shirt or get on with a menial task without griping and you may be mature enough to put a smile on your face when the already tough going just gets a bit tougher!

You'll find the raining staff at Halton and Cosford to be amongst some the best there is...They know what to expect, have seem much of it before and have things in place to get the best out of you no matter what your background.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Whilst your life experience will get you through training easier than an 18yr old who has never been away from home, it is also fair to say that once you get out of training and into the big wide world of the RAF, then many people will not take a blind bit of notice as to your age and life skills - they will only look at what you are wearing on your shoulder and treat you accordingly.

Your test will be how you can deal with being spoken to like a 19yr old when you are in your early 30s by a JNCO who may be 5 or 6 years younger than you. Some can handle it - some find it annoying and patronizing.

Halton will test you I think, as you will lose some of your freedom for the week
s at the start as they work on you! From what I've been listening to for the last 3 weeks you can expect to be marching after 0600, but we've all don that and whilst it doesn't last forever it gives you the necessary team bonding and sense of belonging. As an adult you may well be that shoulder that some of the youngsters turn to, life experience is valuable!
I never did Cosford, but as already stated, they want you to pass. Even now, the banter still exists, so when you hit the 'line' ther may be some fun and games, but that's all it is. I'm pretty sure if you got sent for a long weight, you'd go and chill out for a while before stating you couldn't find it!!
Deploying is good, you get to do your job without the constant nausea of the good ideas club.
So, don't think you won't enjoy it. It's a slog to get there, but rewarding and great fun. Somebody will be paying you to go mountain climbing/ biking/ kayaking and other fun stuff. They will pay you to further educate yourself too!