• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joining as an Airman in 2020

stormwell

LAC
Been getting to the point where I just want to get the damn thing done!

Still, anyone know if the test HAS to be in kms or whether you can have it in miles?

Treadmills at my local gym are set to miles and so that's what I've been using for distance and timings, no biggies if it has to be kms just prefer what I'm used to.

Been getting to the point where I just want to get the damn thing done!

Still, anyone know if the test HAS to be in kms or whether you can have it in miles?

Treadmills at my local gym are set to miles and so that's what I've been using for distance and timings, no biggies if it has to be kms just prefer what I'm used to.
I did mine at nutfield and it was done in Kms including the speed they couldn’t change it to mph,
I was like you my gym was all in mph and had to convert to Kms.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I did mine at nutfield and it was done in Kms including the speed they couldn’t change it to mph,
I was like you my gym was all in mph and had to convert to Kms.
1 mile = 1.6 km distance.
Speed wise The speed in KM per hour is equal to the speed in MPH multiplied by 1.6. One mile per hour is equal to 1.6 KM per hour.

bigjd

LAC
It will depend on the treadmill. My test was done in KPH and the magic number is 2.4km for 1.5 miles.

They told me the minimum speed to maintain throughout to hit the target time on the nose. For me it was 13.1kph taking in to account ramp up time.

All in all I found it reasonably relaxed, just stay focused and don't ramp the speed higher than you need to until you feel comfortable! I kept at 13.1 for a good while before deciding to push it upwards once I knew I was comfortable.

If you're struggling remember it's 11 or 12 minutes of discomfort to get a long term career. Dig out and keep thinking about the end goal and you will be absolutely fine!

Best of luck

stormwell

LAC
I passed.

Turned up a little early and presented myself at the gym's reception, then met one of the PTIs and then had blood pressure taken along with height and weight.

Test is in kilometres as that was what the gym's treadmills were set to.

First off was the run which I ran straight through at 12.1 km/h (target time for me was 12 minutes), though to counteract the treadmill getting up to speed the PTI gave me a 0.05km leeway before starting the stopwatch. Though managed the run in 11 m 55s, so a pass on the biggest part of the test. Would certainly say the run is part-physical and part-mental, plenty of practice beforehand helped but on the day I still found it bit of a daunting prospect.

Next up was the press-ups and sit-ups with a minute or so rest in between, you can stop once you reach the required amount or continue on but advised to only go all out with the sit-ups to partially converse energy in order to make sure I completed them. I opted to do what was required in order to pass and something as a benchmark to improve on when I get to Halton.

You'll know at the end of it whether you've passed or failed, though if you've done the run you're pretty much on course to passing long as you've kept up practising the press-ups and sit-ups. You'll also receive a copy of the form with your results on to take away as proof.

Now it's the security check questionnaire when I received and likewise start date for BRTC.

I passed.

Turned up a little early and presented myself at the gym's reception, then met one of the PTIs and then had blood pressure taken along with height and weight.

First off was the run which I ran straight through at 12.1 km/h (target time for me was 12 minutes), though to counteract the treadmill getting up to speed the PTI gave me a 0.05km leeway before starting the stopwatch. Though managed the run in 11 m 55s, so a pass on the biggest part of the test. Would certainly say the run is part-physical and part-mental, plenty of practice beforehand helped but on the day I still found it bit of a daunting prospect.

Next up was the press-ups and sit-ups with a minute or so rest in between, you can stop once you reach the required amount or continue on but advised to only go all out with the sit-ups to partially converse energy in order to make sure I completed them. I opted to do what was required in order to pass and something as a benchmark to improve on when I get to Halton.

You'll know at the end of it whether you've passed or failed, though if you've done the run you're pretty much on course to passing long as you've kept up practising the press-ups and sit-ups. You'll also receive a copy of the form with your results on to take away as proof.

Now it's the security check questionnaire when I received and likewise start date for BRTC.
Well done mate, I’m also waiting for security clearance and BRTC start date 👍🏻

bigjd

LAC
I passed.

That's brilliant news, the hard work paid off. Let us know when you get a start date, might see you at Halton. Where is your Phase 2?

So I’ve been given a potential start date for April 2022, that’s will be over a year from first applying, anybody else join up before that ?

Last edited:

foxOneFive

Corporal
As others have said "Good luck with your future careers" Just stick with the bullpoo during training and you won't regret it.

Just for the record, I applied in Jan 80 and was almost a year to the day till I started at Swinders. Sounds like not much has changed over 40 years