• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

is there any ....

U

unknowntoyou

... books i can read at all
to get my knowledge of whats been going on in the news up to date?

i've only just started this whole process and don't even know if i will make it to interview stage
but i would rather start preparing myself now just incase , instead of leaving it all last minute

shettie

Flight Sergeant
UK - you haven't said if your going for a commission or not - if you are one of the "quality" papers (Times, Telegraph...) is a good start - for an "overview" I found Newsweek a good resource

U

unknowntoyou

o yeah i did forget
thankyou
i am going for commission

U

unknowntoyou

o yeah and i also forgot to add
what main things should i focus on
and what kind of questions to do with whats happened will they ask

bigred1

SAC
Prior to going to OASC I got into the Economist for news and background on topical subjects. Better than trawling through 3 "quality" dailys every day
I still pick one up in airports now while travelling.
Today on Radio 4 was recomended to me but I found that a bit early. (maybe on podcast nowadays.)

Good Luck

BR1

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Scour the internet for the news agency websites.
Reuters, BBC, Sky etc.
BBC tend to do articles on build ups to events, you just have to find them!
The AP (associated press) seem to get the lead on stories quite often and get quoted by the BBC and Sky. Might be worth a look.

I

Isis

Echoing here

The Week and The Economist, any 'quality' paper you might fancy (or a range), and the fabulous bbc news website.

Use them all, form a background understanding of the world and the UK generally. Then pick 4-6 UK topics and the same for around the world, they should cover approx the last 12 months. Research them - really well. Form opinions that you can argue and evidence in a confident and competant manner.

Generally the question is something along the lines of 'so, what global events have caught your eye over the last 12 months?' or 'what UK based current affairs have you found particularly interesting?' - This is your cue to rattle off your list of topics until they stop you, or you run out. They will then pick one and ask you to expand. They are looking for knowledge (evidence you haven't just crawled from under a rock but actually follow current affairs) and OPINION that you can back up. Knowing the news off by heart might make you a fab newsreader. Being able to debate current affairs gives you potential at OASC.

Oh, and memorise your own details (education, work experience, dates, travel, etc, etc).

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
The Weekly telegraph is good to catch up on whats been happening, BBC News website, and try to show that you are reading around all the world news. Regurgitating Iraq, Afghan, and Zimbabwe is something you should know about but try to avoid if poss as your main ones I did N.Korea, Somalia, Venezuela, Nepal and I think Iran.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Check out the BBC overseas service.
It's got the best news coverage you can get.

:pDT_Xtremez_28: