• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IRT Honington

4th_of_foot

Has anyone been through recently?

I'm likely to be going in July, and just wondered what the timetable was.

Will I get issued my desrt kit there?

Cheers,

4th

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I did mine a while ago but I was there with a whole host of Auggies.

You should have already been issued all the kit you require for out of area before you go to Honnington, at least that was the case with the 4626 Sqn guys, bacause you need to take your body armour with you.

You will also get a kit list on the joining instructions and this kit should be obtained before you go. Cue some very unhappy rocks if you turn up deficient of any kit.

If you can get some time on the range before you go I'm sure that will help, and not meaning to tar all auggies with the same brush but the ones I was with were $hite on the range and couldn't get a hit at 100m with a sodding susat, so they had no chance at 300m! It took 3 full days to get everyone through the range. :pDT_Xtremez_25:

Most of all enjoy the course. I really enjoyed it.

4th_of_foot

Thanks for that Sniffer.

I'm a bit unique in that I work for a tri-service unit run by the Army and don't have a home squadron, and I'm deployingas an IR for someone else, but I'm hoping A1 Ops will be sorting all my kit out. If not, I'll make sure I get it from our stores.

I'm ex TA Infantry from years ago (proper rifle then too), so hoping that my range skills will be OK, but my unit are having a range weekend at beginning of nJuly so I'm hoping to get some useful practice in then.

Thanks again,

4th

sambo1983

LAC
I'm heading to Afghan in Oct, so will be doing EIRT up to 56 days before (is that right?!)...has anyone here been lately? If so, can you advise on the accomodation, useful stuff to take, laundry facilities etc etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
i'm glad we do IRT at leeming. Couldn't handle going to Honnington for 2 weeks every year lol. Call me lazy, but there's something of a small pleasure to be able to relax in your own bed after a hard day in the field

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
I'm heading to Afghan in Oct, so will be doing EIRT up to 56 days before (is that right?!)...has anyone here been lately? If so, can you advise on the accomodation, useful stuff to take, laundry facilities etc etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did mine in December in the 2 weeks immediately prior to deploying. All of my corse were regulars; but I don't think that the course differs much for the Auxillaries.

The accommodation as at Barnham Camp. It's basic but warm (well hot) and dry. It has limited laundry facilties (take your own powder). The food is reasonably good. There is a lounge equipped with wide screen TV a ton of DVDs and Wii. Barnham Camp is a bit remote though; if you don't have your own car you could be stuck (trust me the weeken spent thre was not the most productive weekend of me life).

The course was very well delivered and very relevent. Not a reat deal of Regiment bull**** either. The instructors were all very good and it was good to see some excellent coaching on the range rather than the Swinderby/Cranwell type of shouting (that dates me).

The 3 days in the field are not to bad. Again, constructive instruction. They are were not looking to produce trainied infantry soldiers but were giving us the skill sets so we could react appropriately and not be a liaibility.

Go with a positive attitude and be reasonably fit - it's not a beasting but it will be easier to cope with you're not worried about your fitness. If you give your all in the final day's exercises then you'll get on fine.

Overall, the course was very good. Within a month of being on the exercise area I was out on the ground accompanying a patrol in Afghanistan.

4th_of_foot

The last post just about covers it. I didn't reply before as I was off out quite soon afterwards. Got back from my 6 months at the beginning of Feb.
I did the 2 weeks at Honington with Aidie and his team, and they were excellent. There were 4 Auggies, and, (Sniffer) we all did pretty well on the range, and the regulars let the side down (not wishing to tar all regulars with the same brush). I had to re-shoot just one 5 round group myself, so I was pretty pleased, and was effectively top shot.
I ended up on patrol working for Task Force Kandahar, attached to a US MP unit, and their drills were really gash. I reckon 2 weeks with the Honington team would have done them a power of good!