• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Iraq Exit strategy

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

With the sad loss of the 100th British Serviceman in Iraq do you think Tony Blair actually has an exit strategy? Or do you think that he has allowed mission creep and is afraid of pulling out in case Iraq decends into civil war.

With a coilition government in the offing with the Shias having the biggest slice I think that this is the opportunity for the Iraqi people to get together and fight off any insergency. With Afghanistan looming I dont think that Phoney Tony can afford to have anymore British Military deaths on his hands, let alone the poor families who will suffer as a result of his policies.

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
There never has been a well thought out exit strategy for Iraq. Just look at how quickly we went in to the country, from the PM putting forward the case for war and being there.

If you consider the allies spent three years coming up with detailed plans for the occupation of Germany after the war it shows how poorly thought out this whole exercise was. Its not only the politians who need to dragged out and held to account, its also our top brass for not standing up to them and allowing our people to be put in unnecessary danger.

:pDT_Xtremez_38:

HotspurIDO

I'm not fecking BRANCH!
Plumber said:
Its not only the politians who need to dragged out and held to account, its also our top brass for not standing up to them and allowing our people to be put in unnecessary danger.

Your sentence infers that 'politicians' and our 'top brass' are separate entities, I suspect the reason why we have so many problems in the military is because the 'top brass' are, in fact, playing a political rather than military game when it comes to policy. This muddying of the role of our higher echelons creeps down alarmingly low and can be seen day-to-day at Station level.

No, there's no realistic exit strategy from Iraq, as Gunny Highway would say 'its a clusterfcuk'.

D

DoesMyBumLookBigInThis?

On the very sad and emotive subject of the 100th serviceperson to have lost their life - tonight I picked up a paper and for the first time it hit me, there it was, the number of people that I know or know of among those featured all on one page. It has just passed the anniversary of the C130 incident - does it really seem a whole year ago?? There was an article in 2 papers - the mail and the independent focussing on the death of Maj Matt Bacon and some true and heartbreaking words from his father. I remember reading the statement by Maj Bacon's family that was released by MOD saying, and excuse me for paraphrasing, that they knew the risks involved but never believed it would really ever happen to their son... How many MPs have family or friends in the Armed Forces and sit at home listening to news reports and have their pulses race every time they hear there has been an incident and pray that is not someone they care for? Would they put politics first then?
I am intrigued by the headlines that Prince Harry will also go into theatre in the near future - will he be treated like 'any other soldier' Lets wait and see - but full respect to the young man if those are his wishes.

God Bless all those who have been lost in action and lets not forget their families and close ones who have to live with that loss every single day.
RIP

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

There was a small memorial service at Lyneham for all those killed in the Hercules last week.

B

Bluntend

DoesMyBumLookBigInThis? said:
How many MPs have family or friends in the Armed Forces and sit at home listening to news reports and have their pulses race every time they hear there has been an incident and pray that is not someone they care for? Would they put politics first then?

Can anybody name a member of the current Labour government who has actually served? Its sickening that our government commits its troops to war without any of them really knowing what they're doing.

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

Mr B liar spouts on about withdrawing from Iraq now before the terrorists are defeated would be a disaster. It is already a disaster, he changes his tone (No pun intended) everyday as to why we first went to war, him and GW have caused the terror campaign.:pDT_Xtremez_09:

T

The Ballerina

I saw GWB state of the union speech the other day. Couldn’t believe that he was still harping on about weapons of mass destruction with Iran being the focus of attention. Hard to believe that he could push that one but wouldn’t put anything past him. If an exit strategy is in mind his attitude would probably be while you’re out there boys just pop in on the way home.

MeerKat

SAC
Maybe the exit strategy is to turn right at Basra, head East for a bit and then when Tehran has been sorted continue on to AFG???
Seriously, the whole Iran thing scares me senseless, not just the rhetoric being spouted by G Dubya and Eltone, but also the Iranian hieracy as well - Isolationism never looked so good

MeerKat said:
Maybe the exit strategy is to turn right at Basra, head East for a bit and then when Tehran has been sorted continue on to AFG???
Seriously, the whole Iran thing scares me senseless, not just the rhetoric being spouted by G Dubya and Eltone, but also the Iranian hieracy as well - Isolationism never looked so good

I just hope the whole Iran thing doesn't kick off before 10/07, as that'll be me picking up my dosh, handing in my uiform and saying goodnight to the RAF.

Stax

Flight Sergeant
The Helpful Stacker said:
I just hope the whole Iran thing doesn't kick off before 10/07, as that'll be me picking up my dosh, handing in my uiform and saying goodnight to the RAF.

Hmmmmm good luck Helpful!