• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Int Branch badge

• Thread starter FiledIntuitively
  • Start date
H

HansBwix

Beep!

Beep!

I always found that explaining our ranks as barcodes worked - the more stripes the more expensive.

As far as the Spam's Enlisted Ranks are concerned, wouldn't it mean that some of the guys would have to wear a rank according to their pay scales - given that we have at most 8 ranks and they have a gazillion?

:pDT_Xtremez_31:

B

Bombe Suprise

Dib Dib Dib...

Dib Dib Dib...

Sorry, just getting some practice in for when we wear all those badges :D

Having also been at the branch knees up, and thankfully not had to suffer the misery of the morning after the night before (although I note some most certainly were :pDT_Xtremez_34:), I seemed to recollect that the thinking behind a lot of this badge business was to do with creating a branch/corporate identity.

Would a badge work? Coming from 2 supposed badged locations in my last tours, neither of which convinced me to wear it for anything other than official briefings and when big-wigs pitched up (and at least one of the badges is now out of date - although it was worn on my last trip to the desert to cover up the velcro), I don't think so. A group identity comes from more than just badges, although for the life of me I can't think of anything earth-shattering to follow up that last statement.

A branch cummerbund, sounds good and saves the problem of 'what to wear' cummerbund wise at a branch do - is it your last tour, your last PI tour (for those old enough to remember :D) or just one from when you were on a Sqn? Not sure, however, what it would do for the wider branch identity.

Think I'll leave that one for the masses - one thing I have learned is that an identity comes from the group - it's bloody difficult to impose one from above....

R

Ricit XIII

You can exclude us trade bods out of this badge stuff. For we know who we are, and so do the people that matter. So you branch boy scout brigade can strut your stuff with an armfull of patches. Also, it is sad to see an RAF IA wearing an 1 MI patch on one arm and the RAF Tac flash on another...he must be confused or a muppet!:pDT_Xtremez_34:

C

Cat of Shadows

Right, who let the children loose at the Branch Conference!!!!

Right, who let the children loose at the Branch Conference!!!!

Too say the least I'm disappointed.

The first time in years we were given an opportunity to speak up about issues of real concern and the best we came up with was this!!!!!??????

Luke: I'm loving the whole cummerbund thing, something else to p*** the Int Corps off with at O&D and I therefore sign up for one. Agree with the blue and the eye of Horus thing, should also be reversable with a less formal design on the opposing side to continue the p***ing off effort of the Int Corps/Army in general.

As for badges you can all ram it!!! I have not, will not and just plain can't bring myself to Cub Scout myself up with the bl***y nonsense that we have now. If you can't tell from my rank, general bearing and cap badge that I am not in the bl**dy army, then it is the training system which is at fault...........................we don't need badges, just some firm re-education!!

S

Sonic

CoS,

OH how you have changed ye lover of wearing marks of branch and trade:pDT_Xtremez_31:

It was not that long ago you embraced the badge of difference....:pDT_Xtremez_19:

It is good to see that now you have seen the light your views have changed, but think of us FJ bods that now are meant to be wearing flashes and multiple AEW badges dependant upon where we are and who takes a fancy of being in charge this week?!!!:pDT_Xtremez_08:

Like yourself it appears that stores keep running out when I go to get them - Never mind eh....:pDT_Xtremez_40:

I

Inch High PI

Agree with the cat

Agree with the cat

You can poke your badges up your ar$e, If army type people can't tell I am in the RAF then somethings gone wrong. My beer belly and skuffed toe-caps usually give it way though.

Off Topic
At your zob int branch conference, was anything said about the PI* trade and Wiggly amps freaks trade merger??

*yes i am a PI.

Utter Bollox

Utter Bollox

Badges for unit identity are fine and have a place, but zaps to identify your Branch? WTFO??

Cummerbunds are a completely different question and a good idea. A Branch cummerbund was suggested 15 years ago when we changed to the Intelligence Branch. However, the PI mafia clung on to the hope that we could have a PI cummerbund instead (even Canute had his followers). However, there was a badge already in existence (signed by the King in 1938) as the Intelligence School crest (attached).

The sphinx and sun could form the motif with a coloured background (not AWC pink!!) thereby allowing the Branch to identify itself without the need to go into the needle-fest of CS95 stupidity.

A

Allah

In Tor Wot

In Tor Wot

Beloved In Tor Wot, your words of wisdom are much missed on pprune, truly it has been ages past since your worthy presence was witnessed

H

HansBwix

And so......

And so......

Looks like we have a quorum...........

But if the new Tornado GR4 Force badge is any example it doesn't matter what the thinking classes want, if those with many hoops on their sleeves decide it's a good idea we're pretty much stuffed. Hence the new 'Jag' badge worn by the GR4 dead moth brigade. looks like a 3-ship of Floggers to me........

Int Tor Wot - to use your inimitable vernacular, the whole sh*gging idea should be burnt along with the malingering gits who obviously have far too much time on their hands.

down with the badges, on with the cummerbunds!

:pDT_Xtremez_25:

A

Allah

Badge

Badge

But surely, seekers after that which is divine, to get a 3 ship GR4s badge, thou would have to walk a badge of 6.........?

C

Cat of Shadows

Allah said:
But surely, seekers after that which is divine, to get a 3 ship GR4s badge, thou would have to walk a badge of 6.........?

Touche Allah!!

However, I think you'll find its a walk for 8 :pDT_Xtremez_42:

As for the Cummerbund, In Tor Wot I agree with you, no sh*gging badges and no sh*gging AWC purple/pink rainbow club background. Sphinx and sun with a blue not dissimilar to the one on the attachment.

Thoughts and funding please?????

H

HansBwix

Funding?!

Funding?!

I think if we wait for official funding it could be a very long time!

Perhaps we should treat it like RUMINT - if enough people do it eventually becomes official. So, what we really need is to come up with the design, order the cummerbunds, wear them at every opportunity and Robert is your mother's brother.

Volunteers?

:pDT_Xtremez_19:

A

Allah

cummerchameleon

cummerchameleon

Oh Worthy Seeker of WMDS,

I refer you to my previous posting in reply to Luke

"luke: your magnificance knows no bounds and paradise shall be your reward should you deliver unto the faithful a cummerbund. For it is written that once it is produced even without the blessing of the grown-ups then it shall be adopted by all. Truly courage shall see you design them, order a blessed few and cast them out to chosen brethen who shall wear them openly. Thus shall a cummerbund be designed and thus will be it adopted.
So it is written, so shall it be done
And by the way, lost in the times of myth and legend, there was a design from the 90's with the All Seeing Eye poached from the infidel Mason and Guards Armoured Division and placed upon colours of black for space, blue for sky, green for land and erm blue for water
Blessing and Peace Be Upon You"

Once they are worn, then they shall be accepted by all believers

L

luke

Back again - need info on sphinx and sun...

Back again - need info on sphinx and sun...

Apologies for the delay peeps,

still no posting notice (most of my belongings still in my quarter at my last unit which I am still paying rent & council tax for) but I have started work at my next duty unit and moved the family to my new house (not SFQ) - will I be able to claim all this expense back? (I seriously fooking doubt it hence me not moving all my possessions at my own non-reclaimable expense ).

Been offline while I get the broadband relocated and am now catching up on egoat (so enough of the personal crying already!)...

If the King signed off on the Sphinx and Sun (S&S) then there must be an explanation and reasoning for the choice of symbols and a translation of the motto as well. Would be very interested in these details so post 'em in the CUMMERBUND forum please, if you know 'em. Although I started the ball rolling with Eye of Horus, I do like the S&S option but am loath to commit to a badge of "a school" as we are quite a bit more than that.

Once I've settled down at work will look into the cummerbund thing in more detail with a view to produce and distribute.

OOOOOPS!! Just realised I have posted this on the Badge thread in error - should be on the cummer thread - apologies

Last edited:
S

SAMster

What about a shiny belt buckle then...?

What about a shiny belt buckle then...?

We could please both badge lovers and haters with a Gucci RAF stable belt buckle - think of it as CoS's cummerbund, but available for daily use .....

Hey, its just a suggestion!

:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Standby........ incoming!!!