• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Int Branch badge

• Thread starter FiledIntuitively
  • Start date
F

FiledIntuitively

If you were there today you will understand. If not, feel free to join in anyway :)

Here's a starter for ten. Ooh suits you sir.

20060608-U-RAFIntBadge-FiledIntuitively.jpg

L

luke

No, No, No, FUNKING NO!!!!

No, No, No, FUNKING NO!!!!

What is this bleedin' obsession with badges and flashes?! Enough already - if you want to be like the Rocks then join the bl**dy Regt and get some proper mudguards.

If it isn't bad enough that we have to wear a DZ flash (yeah, I'm standing in the door now...red on....), a green and black number plate on our chest (to satisfy some of our senior officers that we aren't army when on FRESCO) and I'm soon to start work on "the Wing" where I'll get another one for my left arm.

Fer christ sakes, how am I supposed to sanitise my kit? For the past 3 years I've worn a blood group patch on my sleeve and occasionally my rank while being on almost constant ops. Nobody worried about who I was or what I did - the fact I was there was enough and that I did my job accordingly.

Badges and flashes are worn (or forced upon us) by the insecure that lack confidence in themselves.

BUCK THIS TREND NOW - WE ARE NOT SPAMS....

Now an Int branch cummerbund wouldn't go amiss. I was obviously not at the conference but I guess badges was a particularly important topic that needed airing...

PS: great avatar DR - Mike is the inspiration we should all follow

Last edited:
T

T.R.

Funnily enough it was the SO3 groups in the workshop session who ALL thought an int Badge was #1 priority....

TR

I

Inch High PI

I'm with Diminished Responsibility, The Jolly Roger it is! Yarrrrrr!

But seriously I think this would be more appropriate as an Int Branch/Trade badge, to be worn on CS95 on the rank slide...

Z

Zippy

Bob a Job

Bob a Job

Is it just me are we turning into Cub scouts??? I didn't join the mob to paint myself in badges and flags, bin the badge idea now! It sucks. Also take that TIW badge off, and NO, thats NO, TIW rank slides, what tactical course o members of TIW attend to become soldiers apart from Stn guard trg and IDT/IRT? None!

Lets get back to reality and think about the real issuses about the trade and branch...

:pDT_Xtremez_34:

A

Allah

badges

badges

O Beloved Ones, truly Zippy is most virtuous and accurate in his preaching. The wearing of ****ey little wittle badges is abhorrent to all. For we do not need blasphemous badges to show who we are. Our wisdom is reflected in our deeds. Idoltary and graven images are the tools of the devil and make us look like spasmos.
It is time O followers of that which is hidden to cast asunder TIW, JFAC and other tawdry tat and bear only that to which is relevant and covered under QRs

H

HansBwix

Anonymity Rocks!

Anonymity Rocks!

GODDAMMIT! How much money are the bloody heirarchy going to waste on bloody stupid s*dding badges when we can't even afford half a metre of fibre optic cable to hook up a functioning laptop?!!!! AAAAAARRRGHHHH!!!!! RAGE!

hehem. Having managed to keep my CS95 completely badge free for the past three years without being pulled up, I agree with Luke et al that if you do your job right here and in the various Butlins sites across the world, everyone who matters know who you are anyway. It seems them upstairs failed to realise that half of the badge discussion was, in fact, sarcasm and as usual have taken it to heart. And are probably the kind of people who sew dead moths on their deserts in case people don't realise they're aircrew.

Every time someone asks me where my badges/flashes/number-plates/woggle/neckerchief are, I just tell them stores have run out. Which is usually true anyway.

!RAGE!

:pDT_Xtremez_32:

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Badges shadges!

Badges shadges!

I am quite happy getting my pay packet at the end of month knowing I have done a good job. Having poxy badges does not help me feel any happier. Leave all the cub scout badges to the rocks who wanna be soldiers.

T

T.R.

Hans, I refer you to my earlier point - the idea of an Int badge was proposed by at least two of the SO3 syndicates (might have been all three but I had been in the bar until 4.30 and wasn't exactly seeing/thinking straight at the time). The 'heirarchy' never mentioned it. Not once.

For once, this isn't one of 'their' ideas - it was 'ours'!!!!!! No, and I don't like it, either. Or the EAW concept. Or JPA.....

See, now you've started me off......

Cheers

TR

F

FiledIntuitively

how much does it cost to "develop a corporate identity"

how much does it cost to "develop a corporate identity"

HansBwix said:
GODDAMMIT! How much money are the bloody heirarchy going to waste on bloody stupid s*dding badges when we can't even afford half a metre of fibre optic cable to hook up a functioning laptop?!!!! AAAAAARRRGHHHH!!!!! RAGE!

20p plus a bit of velcro from stores :)

F

FiledIntuitively

noooooooooooooooooo!

noooooooooooooooooo!

T.R. said:
the idea of an Int badge was proposed by at least two of the SO3 syndicates ... The 'heirarchy' never mentioned it. Not once."

Ahem. I believe that at the time, certain individuals humour/irony module was not switched on due to overall poor sensor coverage and a high false alarm rate. The badge was mentioned in a jovial way by at least one group, in the spirit of the EAW concept, and pounced on by They That Take Notes.

How about some dodgy cufflinks instead then? Much more practical ....

FiledIntuitively
EAWg Int O

T

T.R.

So if it's a spoof why didn't anyone speak up? "Don't write that down - we don't REALLY want a badge" type stuff? Because now, if someone asks, the heirarchy might think that as it was proposed by the Branch at large - and unopposed in the open forum - it might actually be a good idea and the next thing you know we'll all be done up like boy scouts (to pick up Hans' thread.)

Or is this a case of "it's a great idea" when attending the conference but "it's a crap idea" when back amongst the boys and girls at home station? Can't have it both ways.

TR

Hmmmm

SAC
I think we should learn a lesson from our glorious leaders. Fisrt sign of a scuffle and they remove any sort of badge/rank from their flying suits.

Give me a removable rank slide - cos that can be useful - and I'm happy. If members of other armed forces cannot recognise us, well that's their problem.

PS. has anyone noticed how many senior officers (like air ranking), wear additional, American, rank badges when working in a coalition environment. What's all that about?

L

luke

they just can't be bothered to learn...

they just can't be bothered to learn...

Have to say that the practice of wearing "many ranks" in theatre makes some sense, even though I'm against the many badges thing in general.

I was at Ali Al in the early days (actually the 1st DWR'd JO for that illustrious det) and it has to be said that the average HN and/or US guard ain't exactly the sharpest tools in the box.

It was quickly established as a det practice that if you were involved in any kind of liaison with other nations, then it was easier to wear one of their rank slides (and make it so-o-o-o-o much easier when dealing with ECP guards/other LOs etc).

I know bashing the highers is easy but in the majority of cases they have to wear the "camel's tongue" (or is that toe?) or their HN counterparts will not acknowledge them. In Ali Al, if the DetCo didn't wear his KAF rank slide with the staff college marker, they wouldn't speak to him at HN meetings.

I know we invariably make the effort to learn others ranks but I guess others can't be bothered to learn ours (or is it that our old black/light blue/grey thread combo is just too confusing?).

"Barkeep!! another can of worms, if you please..."

Last edited:
H

HansBwix

on that note

on that note

OK - two points to make here.

1. 'We' are actually part of the heirarchy - I wasn't at the conference but listened with horrified fascination about the whole badge discussion thing - and I have to admit that it's a well made point that if nobody sad 'just kidding' then we will reap what we sew (sorry, sow). I'm sure the few hundred ORs would be as pi$$ed off as the rest of us - how about a straw poll of those not invited as to what they think (and no leading questions of what kind of badge - just would you like a badge yes/no).

2. Good point made about the whole sanitisation thing. But the way the boy scout badges are multiplying we may as well get the whole set of CS95 made out of velcro!

Oh - and feedback from the army - the new LZ flash designed to inform the army that we are in the RAF has been met with soldiers now asking 'what regiment are you with' - genius boys, genius!

Good suggestion on Luke's thread about the branch cummerbund though.

:pDT_Xtremez_35:

rover014

LAC
Its much easier for us lot!

We just get saluted by spams when we are LAC's!

Oh well what a shame some yank prick does not speak to you in the bar because he does not know who you are, if he is so pretentious that he only speaks to his equals or those who arse he can kiss; then he can **** off, and do what he wants! Pretentious nonsense!