• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Initial Interview

I have now passed the AST and am due for the initial interview (5 days later).

My preparation is coming on and the general knowledge around the RAF isn't too bad so just need to scrub up. I was wondering if anyone has any advise around the interview and any tips on how to answer a question like:

What's your attitude toward armed combat?

My initial thought would be something like:
"If it was required of me, once I have received the very high standard of military training around armed combat I would be proud to serve and defend my country whenever and wherever was required of me."

If they give an example like when on guard duty and a gun is drawn on you, what would you do? Would an answer like: " Having no previous military combat training I would deal with it like this sir/madam: I would of course tell the enemy to drop their gun, if they did not do this I would look to remove the threat/enemy before they could cause injury or harm to anyone". " I am unsure of how this fits with the military rules around armed combat, but I am sure once I am trained to the high standards our armed forces sets I will be ready if the situation should arise."

Don't get too hung up on it. As long as you realise the implications of what armed combat and express a mature attitude, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Cheers Downsizer, will do. I'm a bit older that your average recruit so hopefully the maturity thing will come across throughout the interview.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I have now passed the AST and am due for the initial interview (5 days later).

My preparation is coming on and the general knowledge around the RAF isn't too bad so just need to scrub up. I was wondering if anyone has any advise around the interview and any tips on how to answer a question like:

What's your attitude toward armed combat?

My initial thought would be something like:
"If it was required of me, once I have received the very high standard of military training around armed combat I would be proud to serve and defend my country whenever and wherever was required of me."

If they give an example like when on guard duty and a gun is drawn on you, what would you do? Would an answer like: " Having no previous military combat training I would deal with it like this sir/madam: I would of course tell the enemy to drop their gun, if they did not do this I would look to remove the threat/enemy before they could cause injury or harm to anyone". " I am unsure of how this fits with the military rules around armed combat, but I am sure once I am trained to the high standards our armed forces sets I will be ready if the situation should arise."

That's all very well, but you haven't actually answered the question. What they want is your attitude to the moral question of killing another person. The question will be worded along the lines of "how would you feel about the possibility of using a weapon to kill someone" which will be incorporated into a scenario, e.g. an armed patrol in an operational theatre. What they are after is whether you have the moral fortitude to use the legal use of lethal force, of which you will be empowered. Of course, it is a very difficult to answer as it is something that can only be considered at that moment. You either could or could not kill someone. But if you answer that you couldn't contemplate killing another person (and some people at the interview can't) then you may be asked to review your career choice. Likewise if you answer that you can't wait to spill blood (and some people at the interview do) then you may also be asked to review your career choice. I had one candidate when I back-filled an AFCO somewhere who, when asked that question, answered "I can't wait to kill ragheads". He was invited to withdraw his application.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I had one candidate when I back-filled an AFCO somewhere who, when asked that question, answered "I can't wait to kill ragheads". He was invited to withdraw his application.

...the proper term being "goat shaggers"

That's all very well, but you haven't actually answered the question. What they want is your attitude to the moral question of killing another person. The question will be worded along the lines of "how would you feel about the possibility of using a weapon to kill someone" which will be incorporated into a scenario, e.g. an armed patrol in an operational theatre. What they are after is whether you have the moral fortitude to use the legal use of lethal force, of which you will be empowered. Of course, it is a very difficult to answer as it is something that can only be considered at that moment. You either could or could not kill someone. But if you answer that you couldn't contemplate killing another person (and some people at the interview can't) then you may be asked to review your career choice. Likewise if you answer that you can't wait to spill blood (and some people at the interview do) then you may also be asked to review your career choice. I had one candidate when I back-filled an AFCO somewhere who, when asked that question, answered "I can't wait to kill ragheads". He was invited to withdraw his application.

Thanks for that, in regards to killing someone I guess I would have to say that my job is to protect those around me and myself when on armed patrol so if the situation arose where I would have to fire my gun at another person to protect those people then I guess I would do that, as you said it wouldn't be a choice anyone would like to make but it's what I would be trained for. Also I am going into the RAF knowing that it is a military organisation and that this may be asked of me, therefore the use of force may be required to act as a force for good and to aid in strengthening international peace and security.

Wow I can't imagine hearing someone say that when they are about to join the military as it's a very extreme view, but then again there are people out there who hold these views.

Thanks

Digzster

Sergeant
Thanks for that, in regards to killing someone I guess I would have to say that my job is to protect those around me and myself when on armed patrol so if the situation arose where I would have to fire my gun at another person to protect those people then I guess I would do that, as you said it wouldn't be a choice anyone would like to make but it's what I would be trained for. Also I am going into the RAF knowing that it is a military organisation and that this may be asked of me, therefore the use of force may be required to act as a force for good and to aid in strengthening international peace and security.

Wow I can't imagine hearing someone say that when they are about to join the military as it's a very extreme view, but then again there are people out there who hold these views.

Thanks

KS, bear in the back of your mind for your answer, that you would have to be within the current Rules Of Engagement (ROE) were you to discharge your weapon.

KS, bear in the back of your mind for your answer, that you would have to be within the current Rules Of Engagement (ROE) were you to discharge your weapon.

Quoting the ROE got a wee smile so thank you for that one mate!! Passed and now have the medical next week. Slight worry on the eyesight front but I suppose I'll just have to wait and see, hope I'm not over -6 (one eye is quite close or was in 2013).