• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Information on biomedical scientist role/application for life scientist?

Hello

I am a post graduate life scientist not specialized in biomedical science.

I am interested to know how I might apply for this role and some specifics on what I would be required to undertake beforehand?

Things such as a conversion course, top up modules and whether the RAF actually funds those?

Some brief background information on me.

Age 29, male, British, living abroad (Austria).
BSc life science.
MSc molecular biology.
No previous military background.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Cheers

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
John,
Unless the RAF has dramatically changed since I left; I don't this is an RAF role at all - this is more likely to be an MOD role. You may be better searching for info on MOD websites

Glad to be corrected by anyone in the know!

Puma

SAC
Rigga - the RAF must of changed, they do have biomedical scientists, there was one on my JMLC, don't know much about it other than the promotion was quick.

John the baptist - I believe as long as you meet the entry requirements the RAF will probably give you all the training you need, have you looked at the recruitment website?

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/...cal-and-medical-support/biomedical-scientist/

With your degree you may not even need all the courses, but you would have to speak to recruitment office.

Last edited:

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Hello

I am a post graduate life scientist not specialized in biomedical science.

I am interested to know how I might apply for this role and some specifics on what I would be required to undertake beforehand?

Things such as a conversion course, top up modules and whether the RAF actually funds those?

Some brief background information on me.

Age 29, male, British, living abroad (Austria).
BSc life science.
MSc molecular biology.
No previous military background.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Cheers

For BMS Qualified, you need to have completed your portfolio. If you aren't qualified, they'll look for you to do the full uni course by entering training as Unqualified (although the Trade Sponsor will decide what you need to do).

When/if you do go to the AFCO, take as many certificates and info about what modules/ qualifications you've completed as possible, as the Trade Sponsor will need this to assess your educational eligibility status.

Residency wise, if you've been outside the UK for more than 28 consecutive days in the past 5yrs, you'll need to provide full information on where you've been and when.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
I am sat in the office next to the military BMS trg team.

If you have any questions let me know and I will ask about.

The RAF have BMS (lab techs in old money) i should know i joined as one:pDT_Xtremez_19:

penfold93

Staff member
Subscriber
Further to my last and residency issues aside they will be interviewing for RAF BMS in and around Jan next year.

You will have to give your education details so that they can be mapped across to the delivering Uni but there will be a need for a top up as the Institute of Biomedical Scientists stipulate what is contained within the course and you must complete the required elements to get accreditation and for registration HCPC.

Hope that helps

I am sat in the office next to the military BMS trg team.

If you have any questions let me know and I will ask about.

The RAF have BMS (lab techs in old money) i should know i joined as one:pDT_Xtremez_19:

Hi there.

Thanks very much for the information.

I have read that they make you do a top up year or a conversion course if your coming from a relevant biological science background. You mentioned the AFCO which I submit an application to. Is there a procedure for british applicants from overseas? As opposed to phyiscally going to a site in the UK. I am rigt next to germany, I believe there is still a British military presence there correct?

I dont mind getting my quals assessed by the IBMS, I think its 250 quid or something, would I submit their assessment to the AFCO on application? After a top up/conversion course do he selected uni grant you a biomedical science qual?

My quals included a lot of immunology, biochemistry, proteomics, some anatomy and physiology.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

penfold93

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi there.

Thanks very much for the information.

I have read that they make you do a top up year or a conversion course if your coming from a relevant biological science background. You mentioned the AFCO which I submit an application to. Is there a procedure for british applicants from overseas? As opposed to phyiscally going to a site in the UK. I am rigt next to germany, I believe there is still a British military presence there correct?

There is no facility for recruitment overseas, they run recruitment events in military schools but all follow up is in the UK as far as i am aware.

I dont mind getting my quals assessed by the IBMS, I think its 250 quid or something, would I submit their assessment to the AFCO on application? After a top up/conversion course do he selected uni grant you a biomedical science qual?

If you pay to get your quals assessed then they may say you have equivalent qualifications but as a military BMS you will be expected to do some haematology, microbiology so biochemistry alone may not be enough. Not sure but if you go to the CIO first they may get your quals assessed for you?

My quals included a lot of immunology, biochemistry, proteomics, some anatomy and physiology.

Thanks again.

As said by others your first step needs to be touching base with a CIO.

Triple675

LAC
Further to my last and residency issues aside they will be interviewing for RAF BMS in and around Jan next year.

Do you know something I don't? According to the man power data on the intranet BMS is full and not taking on any students in the 17/18 student year.

Triple675

LAC
I don't think it is. It's one of the, if not the, smallest trade in the RAF. So they probably only recruit what they need.

penfold93

Staff member
Subscriber
Do you know something I don't? According to the man power data on the intranet BMS is full and not taking on any students in the 17/18 student year.

That information is from the tri-Service BMS Trg Officer so unless he's been misinformed then there may be an opportunity, in my experience the Manpower spreadsheet is not always accurate. When I see him next I will ask again.

Triple675

LAC
That information is from the tri-Service BMS Trg Officer so unless he's been misinformed then there may be an opportunity, in my experience the Manpower spreadsheet is not always accurate. When I see him next I will ask again.
Please do. I'm hoping I can re-trade in 2017 :)

calling careers offi e

calling careers offi e

Calling the careers office from where I am is very expensive (Austria) although I wouldnt have thought so.

If one of you are in the know of a specific email or two I can use to get into cotact with would be fantastic

calling careers office from here very expensive (austria)

calling careers office from here very expensive (austria)

Calling the careers office from where I am is very expensive (Austria) although I wouldnt have thought so.

If one of you are in the know of a specific email or two I can use to get into contact with an appropriate individual please let me know as it will go much easier on the wallet. :D

Travelling for an interview would not be a problem, also I am currently getting qualifications evaluated by IBMS.

Cheers

Luke

Last edited: