• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ID Tags

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
So I was having an explore of the darker recesses of my bedside draw and came across my old dog tags - both sets - and it got me struggling to remember....

During the early years of my service (started 1976) we never saw our dog tags as they were held in PSF. Then, iirc, I was issued with my red & green fibreboard ones, with personal details stamped in, to go to Ascension with in 1983. After that, at some point the fibreboard ones were withdrawn from use (although I clearly retained mine) and replaced by engraved metal ones which we retained ourselves, as far as I recall,

Does anyone know when the Red & Green ones were discontinued in favour of the metal ones or, indeed, any other info about the history of RAF dogtags?

Deltaitem

Corporal
Not sure definitively, but I drew my dogtags from PSF in 1990, and they were red and green plant based ones.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I recall having both. I dont recall PSF holding them, but my first posting was to a flying Sqn, my 2nd was to a rock Sqn and my 3rd to a Jag Sqn, so it may have been that if you were on front line you kept them. My metal ones are somewhere in my house - I recall seeing them when I was looking for something else.