• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Iceland volcano, imminent eruption possible...

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Looks like we may about to go through the same kinda travel/flying disruption that we went through last May, hope you've got some travel insurance if you're planning on flying anywhere soon:
Geologists have warned that Iceland's second biggest volcano may be about to erupt, sparking fears of a repeat of last year's travel chaos.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110210/tsc-volcano-eruption-warning-sparks-new-98fda55.html

:S

Watch this space I spose... http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2010/volcano/forecasts.html

Last edited:

fileeth

Corporal
Well if the worst case scenerio comes to fruition i had best get myself a holiday back out to the maldives again because that is where i got 'stranded' the last time some ash caused air traffic disruptions.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

According to the article it claims the airlines have learnt their lesson from the last time and have plans in place - yeh right until it becomes a different type of ash:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Wasn't it an unusual combination of weather conditions (wind direction etc) that caused the resultant havoc last time?

P

POB

Wasn't it an unusual combination of weather conditions (wind direction etc) that caused the resultant havoc last time?

That, and and (European?) ministry level decisions to close the ATC system despite there being little or no reseearch into the dangers of ash ingestion. Subsequent testing revealed that the decision was over the top, and a much smaller exclusion zone would have sufficed. BUT, had the danger been more widespread, and no action been taken, would we still be discussing the massive loss of life etc that might have occured?

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Oh great!! Just before I go back to Afghan. Our squadron was one of the ones that sailed into Portsmouth last time because of the ash cloud....hope it doesn't happen for a second time lol!! :pDT_Xtremez_42:

HeWitch

Corporal
Before Eyjafjallajokull went off the CAA were reviewing the limits for ash and were advised that 0 ppm was insanely low considering the potential threat from Iceland. Their response was that if they didn't need to find out what was a safe limit they wouldn't have to spend money on research. The engine manufacturers also didn't do any research, working on the assumption that they would be able to fly around the ash areas, as they have been able to in SE Asia.
If anyone is flying from the west coast of America to Japan, they might want to check out what's happening in Kamchatka.
I hope the next one to go is at least a bit easier to pronounce than Eyjafjalla anyway.