• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I need an Offaly good recipe

P

pie sandwich

I have asked here in the fitters and turners forum:pDT_Xtremez_30: ,
since we don't have a dedicated thread for recipe's and the such like.

I have got my hands on about 1 Kg of fresh Ox tail, and could do with some ideas on what to do with it.

I would like a good recipe to use it in, I dont fancy making up a big pot of ox tail stew, soup maybe. But I would rather do something a bit different with it.

Any ideas would be great, I just don't want to waste it or give it to the dog (he can have the bones)

H

Heilan

Not much you can do with Oxtail, apart from Stew & Soup. It needs a long slow cook. You could always cook it, pull the meat off the bones & use it to make a curry or pie, but you would have to remember not to cook it for too long 2nd time round. My favourite is oxtail stew & dumplings. You can't do better than that!!

P

pie sandwich

I just thought I could do something fancy, the sort of thing you would see on masterchef
Not that Iam that good in the kitchen

Well I am actually bl00dy fantastic:pDT_Xtremez_31:

H

Heilan

PMSL!! You could just trawl the net for any recipes for Oxtail. I honestly don't think there will be many though. I could be wrong mind you!!

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Just found this one, could be good 'cos it's got Guiness in it:

INGREDIENTS

2 kg Oxtail
4 tbsp Olive oil
75g Seasoned flour
4 Celery stalks (cut into 2.5cm lengths)
2 Onions (chopped)
2 Carrots (thickly sliced)
440 ml Guinness or other stout or strong dark beer
2 x 375g Tinned tomatoes
2 Bay leaves
6 Cloves of garlic (unpeeled)
Fine sea salt and freshly milled black peppercorns

METHOD
1. On the hob, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large heavy flame proof casserole dish.
2. Toss the oxtail pieces in the seasoned flour and fry until golden, cooking in 2 batches. Remove the oxtail and put on a plate.
3. On the hob, heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in the same casserole. Add the celery sticks, onion and carrots and cook until they begin to soften slightly.
4. Pour on the beer and allow to bubble through, scraping the base of the pan to deglaze. Reserve this vegetable and beer mixture.
5. Wipe out the casserole with a paper towel and layer the oxtail, vegetable and beer mixture, tomatoes, bay leaves and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Note: the liquid should just cover all of the meat, so top up with water if necessary.
6. Bring to a gentle simmer on the hob and cook slowly for 3-3 ½ hrs until the meat comes away from the bones – or place in a preheated oven (140ºC/275ºF/Gas 1).
7. Check the seasoning then serve with potato and celeriac mash and roasted root vegetables.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Tried a Cypriot dish couple of weekks ago, worked with Pork and chicken so oxtail might be OK.

Put the meat in the Caserole dish add 2 bay leaves and 1 cinamon stick. Chop vast ammounts of onions and spuds and mix with olive oil and lay on top of the meat ad some salt and top it off with a couple of raw sliced toms. Shot it in the oven for around 2 hours gas mark 4. At the 1 1/2 hour stage remove the lid off a to frazzle the toms. Dead easy.

Cannot go wrong, or can you......

P

pie sandwich

Cheers tommo.

I have had a look on the river cottage website, I thought if they didn't have it then nobody would, afterall there are recipe's for tripe on there.:pDT_Xtremez_02:

Norfolkred1

What about stock, or would enough liquid be produced just by the veg, I would have thought it would have become very dry

Last edited:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Cheers tommo.

I have had a look on the river cottage website, I thought if they didn't have it then nobody would, afterall there are recipe's for tripe on there.:pDT_Xtremez_02:

Off Topic Should be OK to introduce most of our lords and masters to that, they spout enough of the main ingredient!:pDT_Xtremez_19:

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Cheers tommo.

Norfolkred1

What about stock, or would enough liquid be produced just by the veg, I would have thought it would have become very dry

Yes mate no stock required. The oil, meat and the onions do it all. I was surprised that it wasn't dry

W

Whistleblower

I agree with Heilan, it's ideal for soup, stew or a curry. I'd go for the curry.

Fry a chopped onion slowly in plenty of ghee or oil, add in 3 cloved of chopped garlic, 1 inch of grated ginger, 4 tsp of hot madras curry powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1tsp turmeric, 1 tsp hot chilli powder. Cook for 2 mins. Add a bottle of passata or some chopped tomatoes, and some beef stock if it gets dry at all.
Fry your chunks of oxtail quickly to seal and brown, then add it to the curry. Place the whole thing in a casserole and put it in a low oven, covered (gas 3 or 4) for an hour and a half.
At the end, sprinkle on 2 tsp of Garam Masala and a big handful of roughly chopped coriander leaves. Stir in. Serve it with pilau rice and chapatis.

G

gemarriott

I'd go with Norfolk red on this but drop tthe heat and cook for an extra hour. Hsd sommat similar in Tunisia and it was served with couscous and preserved lemons. The meat just dissolved when you bit it.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
I'd go with Norfolk red on this but drop tthe heat and cook for an extra hour. Hsd sommat similar in Tunisia and it was served with couscous and preserved lemons. The meat just dissolved when you bit it.

The variations of the dish is up to how brave you are methinks. Couscous, rice, pasta perhaps. Wonder how beef would cook. Off to TESCOS