• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How's the grub

B

barry the brummie

Well boyz and girlz what's the grub like nowdays?

We used to dish some bosting meals up at Coningsby in the airmen's mess but I bet all them lineys who thought they were getting the best food in the RAF on Early Swing would blow chunks if they knew how often some of it had been out on the servery. Amazing what you can do with some marmite and beef stock and a bit of flour and left overs from dinner.

NFTR

SAC
Well boyz and girlz what's the grub like nowdays?

We used to dish some bosting meals up at Coningsby in the airmen's mess but I bet all them lineys who thought they were getting the best food in the RAF on Early Swing would blow chunks if they knew how often some of it had been out on the servery. Amazing what you can do with some marmite and beef stock and a bit of flour and left overs from dinner.

LOL, and no doubt garnished with your 'special' mayonaise. :raf: Who called the chef a cnut (or rather who called the cnut a chef). I think RAF cabbage mechanics are a rare sight in messes these days. ;)

Soupdragon

Piermaster
dunno if anyone else noticed this..... the smaller the mess the better the food?

accommodated at North Coates for a couple of nights back in the early 80's.... cracking little mess... great food, friendly staff

course at Halton early 80's .... nightmare

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Boscombe had a great mess as well; they only catered for about 70 of us. Steaks cooked to order, and if you wanted something that wasn't on the servery it was never a problem.

But my prize for the best mess still goes to Hereford. Just fantastic.

L

League Any Time

dunno if anyone else noticed this..... the smaller the mess the better the food?

accommodated at North Coates for a couple of nights back in the early 80's.... cracking little mess... great food, friendly staff

Yep Bouncy Castle ring the ration assasin at 9 lunch cooked to order:pDT_Xtremez_28:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Yep Bouncy Castle ring the ration assasin at 9 lunch cooked to order:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Was at Watton for just short of a year during '88' and thats what basically happened there...except you ordered it the day before...

G

gemarriott

I passed through Northcoates a couple of times early 80s, pretty excellent food you're right.

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
well at mrm they now have a contact grill which is fantastic, but wot is it with potatos, very rarely cooked right, overdone, underdone even had golden brown chips that looked brill but was frozen inside!!!! i personally hate peppers, every thing is laced with'em even mashed spud. arrghed, but then a lot of mate hate mushrooms and onions which i like but still the scran is laced with'em. Take those 3 ingredients out and you wont actually get any food. in fact they had stuffed peppers last nite and im sure they were stuffed with cous cous that contained peppers, seriously

ho hum but apart from that not bad

Last edited:
M

mumof4

Will i get shot down in flames if i reveal that my other half is a chef?:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Contrary to what some of you think....food is cooked and only ever reheated once..i think it depends on individual taste as to what you think the grub is like and how quick you get to the mess to get your grub.

(from the other half...)
what u want to do is have a few months at a station where there is contract civvie caterers and taste the slop and tiny portions that they serve u, then tell me (a chef) that the food served by raf caterers is crap!!!!!!!

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Well said 'Boss of IV ' - and so true from the 'Other Arf'. Needs to be said more often that we all need the good stuff to do our jobs, - and on that note having done numerous OOA and Dets I should say that the MCSU (from those that have used them) are often 'wonders on legs' - top class!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Will i get shot down in flames if i reveal that my other half is a chef?:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Contrary to what some of you think....food is cooked and only ever reheated once..i think it depends on individual taste as to what you think the grub is like and how quick you get to the mess to get your grub.

(from the other half...)
what u want to do is have a few months at a station where there is contract civvie caterers and taste the slop and tiny portions that they serve u, then tell me (a chef) that the food served by raf caterers is crap!!!!!!!

To your other half...

You're not wrong...At my place it's civvy and to be honest it's not their fault...the lads are helpful and cheerful and will always take on the critisism but they are being given the nastiest stuff to cook for us...and it never changes...I can predict what will be for lunch a week this Sunday right now...Brunch mixed grill...nothing healthy apart from the water in the chiller...Shame as I said in a nother thread about last summer when I dined in Waddo's mess...what a difference...really good.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Saying that, was down at Keogh Barracks 2 weeks ago and it's all civvy catering. JR mess was atrocious as the lads told me but the Sgt's Mess was excellent. Think it comes down to numbers whoever is cooking. More is not merrier..

G

gemarriott

(from the other half...)

Hello Barrie what is it like in Brum these days? Can you still do a bosting english curry:pDT_Xtremez_35:

L

Lil Miss Naughty

Im not going to slag off RAF chefs because there are alot of good RAF Chef's out there. However all I can say from a personal point of view is thank god for Pay as you dine. I can eat what I want when I want. I still use the mess for lunch and I have to say it is good food and good value for money.

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber
Was detached to RAF Carlisle in the early 80’s but as they only had an Officer’s Mess and no Sgt’s mess I couldn’t stay there. Ended up in an Army Supply mess about 5 miles away.

The Mess steward met me at the door and helped me to sign in, and then when I went to tea he was there again as a steward. 8 o’clock and I decided to have a swift half and you will never guess who was the barman – yes it was him again. Many swift half’s later and then off to bed, up for breakfast and there he was again serving the “full English”.

Went to pay my Mess bill and sure enough there was the same bloke - now as the Mess Manager - Basil Faulty – now I know where you came from!

Ive got to say since pay as you dine has come up here its got worse, less choice and if you dont get in before 1200 your lucky if you get one choice. the chefs struggled to cope this week even though most of the camp was on exercise off base! Gone are the days when id finish night shift and pile my plate full of scran now im lucky if i get 1 sausage and a slice of bacon :pDT_Xtremez_08: it is true about the smaller messes, was on my T101 course down portreath and the food was LUSH .Think that was because there was only about 12 of us on the base ha ha

Last edited:
J

johnny punkster

Was at Watton for just short of a year during '88' and thats what basically happened there...except you ordered it the day before...

i was a cook there at that time!
thanks for reminding me -that system worked really well,you knew what you were having, you knew it would be fresh and we knew when everyone was fed so we could bugger off early..result!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Rambling Sid

Sergeant
Gone are the days when id finish night shift and pile my plate full of scran now im lucky if i get 1 sausage and a slice of bacon

What no beans with the late breakfast.....!!!!! They were about the only "standard" I would ever judge the mess by.....lol. I hope you got the duty supper before night shifts as the sandwiches the mess provided were frisbees at best.