• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to spurge the redundancy money ?

E

enginesuck

Looking to purchase a new motor in Jan when the payout reaches my account - I was thinking a BMW M5 but then i would have to go and live in a council house ..... Still tempted lol but im after suggestions for a family car saloon/ hatchback - no longer have to worry about an estate as no longer have a dog.... I want to spend about 12k including my Saab 93 t linear sport on a 55 plate trade in (reckon about 3.5k for it) i like a bit of luxury - no vauxhalls so what do you reckon ill get for the money - low miles and leather a plus.

BMW 535d. Loads of power and torque. Comfy as anything and big enough for family and still loads of space. Diesel so is economical (ish). Loads of toys aswell.

E

enginesuck

Yeah i reckon maybe 2.5 at a dealer or maybe even 2 - but it has low miles might try and punt it private .

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You're feeling rich at the moment but beware that the guv'ment will quickly and expertly pry that lovely cash out of your sticky mitts in the blink of an eye so don't give them any help...The next big bun fight is bound to be in an oil producing state...at the moment oil is at $135-140 a barrel without anything significant going on so think 'efficiency'...The country is still skint and borrowing more than is coming in so expect more to be piled onto the motorist soon...think cheap tax...In fact spoil yourself in other ways that are less depreciative and longer lasting...holiday home springs to mind!

P

pie sandwich

Ive been looking at spending a little less than the 12K you have but.

For 12K, you can pick up a C or E class merc estate, I have been looking at a Volvo V50 1.6D DRIVe, depending on which engine you get it is between £0 and £30 per year road tax, and around 65mpg.

I have found the odd Audi A6 estate for 12k, so it really is just a case of spending a long time surfing auto trader.

E

enginesuck

Im not particularly feeling rich per say but i never buy cars on credit - i always pay cash - always have. I still need to replace the car in the new year - it only gets 33mpg ! So something a little more efficient is on the cards, I'm thinking january is a good time to buy

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Try a seat Exeo, an old A4 with new engines and suspension you should get a 2 year old model for that sort of money

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Craig855s

Sergeant
I'm looking at a V50 as my next car (Although may have an older V70 or something similar...Audi/merc/jag X estate/BMw 3 estate)

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've not long had a 3008 HDi...I need the clearance to get on and off my drive...lovely high ride, nice and quick and averages 47-50mpg. You can pick them up <12 months old for 12-13k.

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I've not long had a 3008 HDi...I need the clearance to get on and off my drive...lovely high ride, nice and quick and averages 47-50mpg. You can pick them up <12 months old for 12-13k.

i will second that im on my second 3008 and think they are a nice all rounder, not very pretty on the outside granted but the inside is a nice place to be. And to top it off they are pretty nippy and frugal to boot.

I've got the 1.6 sport HDI and just did lossie to scampton (via lancashire) on 3/4 of a tank which was miles off 500 with the computer giving 150 + left ( and it is usually pretty accurate ).

to be fair i've had both mine from new but second hand models are not too pricey and touch wood i've never had any problems (except for asda's dodgy fuel which the main dealer sorted and asda paid for)

AlfM

LAC
Look at a jag X-type diesel or even an S type both give good MPG and can be bought for a reasonable price well loaded with goodies.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Had an S-type and they are great cars but for what you have to spend go for an XF.....I have a 08 3L petrol XF and they are fine motors :)

Sent from my iPad 2 ....yes I doooo