• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How much running is there at Halton?

S

slow-mo

Well i guess the title of my thread is pretty self-explanitory, im currently a 'civvi' and have been considering a career in the RAF for some time now, the only thing holding me back is being ill prepared for the running aspects of Halton.
I've googled my arse off trying to find out what will be involved, so i can train to beat that and not be the lazy sod at the back, but have had no luck.

So i was hoping that the wonderful people of e-goat would be able to give me some information of what will be involved fitness wise.

Also; i know about the 1.5 mile timed run, as well as the bleep test at some point(s) during basic and once a full time member of the RAF.

Cheers in advance :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Yes, there is lots of running.

Don't worry about it though, there seems a fixation in this day and age to find out every minute detail of what will go on during training so it can be 'prepared' for.

You don't need to, go and see the AFCO, they will advise you of minimum fitness required, meet that and all the running at Halton will get you as fit as you need to be.

S

slow-mo

Thanks for the reply Weebl, i know it does sound a bit obsessive wanting to know about this id just like to have known a rough estimate, i dont want to be doing 2 miles prior to basic and then suddenly have to jump to a 5 miler and be staggering across the finish line coughing up a lung : )

I

ICATQ

Excellent.

Will play to my advantage of being a fell runner :)

I bet they aren't real hills though :p

All depends on what you call a real hill. The one at the back of the camp is quite steep but not that high compared to say Snowdon but it doesnt stop you going down and then back up again ;-)

There are several hills in the area which make a reasonable run.

Have a look at an OS map and the contour lines will give you an idea what is available in the Chilterns.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Excellent.

Musing on this, I realised that I finished my 3 years there 30 years ago this week. Yes, they are minor hill by comparison, but this can easily be remedied by the PhyEd dept. by insistence on wearing bleached white plimsoles and carrying a medicine ball.

I won't wax lyrical. it was utter bollox, painful and I am glad things have evolved.

S

slow-mo

Excellent.

I 'effin hope not, i get winded walking up my stairs sometimes....and i live in a bungalow! (well i dont but it sounds more dramatic that way)

Don't worry about it though, there seems a fixation in this day and age to find out every minute detail of what will go on during training so it can be 'prepared' for.

You don't need to, go and see the AFCO, they will advise you of minimum fitness required, meet that and all the running at Halton will get you as fit as you need to be.

Take note.

U

ukhursty

All depends on what you call a real hill. The one at the back of the camp is quite steep but not that high compared to say Snowdon but it doesnt stop you going down and then back up again ;-)

There are several hills in the area which make a reasonable run.

Have a look at an OS map and the contour lines will give you an idea what is available in the Chilterns.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Sounds great! The more reps the better, will need to keep some climb in my legs for the summers fell races.

Very glad to have found out there will be at least some elevation to get stuck into, nothing worse than flat running.

U

ukhursty

I 'effin hope not, i get winded walking up my stairs sometimes....and i live in a bungalow! (well i dont but it sounds more dramatic that way)

Best way is to get some time on your feet mate, find any sort of hill with decent elevation, even if you have to walk for the first couple of weeks.

The more time you get out on your feet the better really.

I'd not worry too much about distance on the flat, of course you will need a base minimum distance, but the hills will strengthen your leg muscles more, and strengthen your lungs/heart more, as you'll be putting more pressure on them.

P

Portcullis

Oh, Mon Brave, I disagree!

DO worry about it. The fitter you are the easier the course will become.

If you are fit, you won't be spending time on PCC or Jackson Flight getting fit.

If you are fit you won't be up all night worrying about your next test.

If you are fit you will enjoy the phys, rather than being the guy at the back coughing his lungs up.

If you are fit you will be able to deal with the physical part of the training - from marching to and from IFPT, to weapon training, to the field exercise etc.

If you are fit you will probably need less sleep, so won't feel tired all day.

As Weebl says, the AFCO will give you the basic minimum standard. That is what it says - the basic minimum. You will need a darned sight more unless you are preparing to fail!!!

S

slow-mo

As Weebl says, the AFCO will give you the basic minimum standard. That is what it says - the basic minimum. You will need a darned sight more unless you are preparing to fail!!![/QUOTE]

Precisely my point, i dont want to fail (i suppose thats a given), but i dont want to be the guy at the back looking like i have some signs of tuberculosis!

In all fairness to myself, i think i probably could scrape through basic considering i can do the pjft slightly quicker than the alloted time, but id prefer to KNOW that i could easily handle the fitness requirements.

You do raise some good points though, i.e. saying that i would be less tired through the day, i notice that now after just a few weeks of 'propper' running. so there are tonnes of added extras to take into consideration other than just be the slow bugger at the back

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Don't wind yerself up about it. You won't die of it. In the end, it's just the learnin' that matters.