• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

House extensions

kawoloki

Sergeant
With a potential redundancy payout looming I'm counting my chickens and running before I can walk at the prospect of extending my house with some of the cash.

Are there any goaters who have extended their places and what did it approximatley cost?

I'm looking at extending over my kitchen (an extension itself) and expanding the size of the two relevant bedrooms (so no plumbing involved).

I realise there are many variables involved like planning permission, electrics, architect plans, foundations strong enough etc etc but does anyone have a rough idea the kind of price I'm looking at? (5m by 3m).

Any assistance much appreciated :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Spurdog

Corporal
I’m currently going through the extension process so here goes. If you are only building a 5 x 3 you may not need planning permission, it depends how far you are going out from your existing property. You can build a single storey up to three metres out without PP. You will need building regs though; I suggest you take a trip to your local planning department. My lot were very helpful, they explained everything in plain English, the girl behind the counter even recommended an architect (he’s really good). Building regs will cover any changes to the drainage, windows/doors, electrical installation and the build itself, including site visits. The council man should also check that your sparky and gas fitter hold the relevant qualifications. You will also need to check your drainage requirements to see if you need an overbuild agreement, if you are over a main sewer you will do. Your local water company should be able to tell you over the phone.

I don’t know exactly where you live so I can’t advise on price; costs vary with location like everything else in the country. My advice is to shop around and haggle like funk; there is a lot of competition among builders at the moment. Your architect may also be able to recommend tradesmen to you but you don’t have to take his advice. Once you have had the plans drawn up you should be able to pin the quote down fairly closely, a grand each way or so. We got six quotes and asked them to tell us where we could see examples of their work. The one we choose was not the cheapest but he had built an extension just down the road. When we knocked on the door the folks there were happy to let us have a look around and they heartily recommended our man.

In short take your time and do your homework. It will be stressful at times but well worth the effort, best of luck.

shettie

Flight Sergeant
We extended our semi about 5 years ago - at a cost of about £60k - this was for a garage, utility room, another bedroom, a bathroom - and changing our existing bathroom into an en-suite. Finally we had the existing detached garage Connected to the main house with a pitched tile roof, and the electrics upgraded as they were "questionable" (the previous occupant had been an electrician and they were "scary"...

One thing I would suggest - Like spurdog - if theres an extended house close by you - it means there should be no objection from the planning department - but it's a good idea to pop round and ask them...

Be aware that the planning department is required to check on the progress throughout the build - and thats a chargable "service"

We had a quote from an architect in town - who was going to charge 16% of the build cost to provide plans, until we spoke to the couple down the road who had had an extension build a year or so before us - and they put us onto a guy who drew up the plans - and assisted with the planning application and all the checks by the planning department - and charged us £500!

Oh - and good luck with living in a building site for the duration (next time (if there is one!) we'll be moving out to a hotel!!) :)

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
For guidance on what you can do to your own house without planning permission look HERE.

My mum has recently had her loft converted (but it also included changing the house from 'Pitched' to 'Gable Ended') and she's had a few bits done around the house.

I'm not sure how much it has cost in total, but one thing I can advise...
DO NOT PAY THE BUILDER UP FRONT!!!!!

Unfortunately, my mum did just this and then spent several months chasing them up to finish the job!:pDT_Xtremez_32:

Oh... and I echo the comments of shettie. We didn't bother visiting her for months because of the devastation!

Best of luck!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

HTB