• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Homebrew

Shugster

Warrant Officer
No I haven't gone mental posting this in the motoring section I'm referring to home made Ethanol stills.
It seems quite a few hobby brewers have taken this up and I think that with fuel prices only ever going to go up in the long term, more and more people might be tempted to have a go.

A quick dig found this with a few links as a starting point...

http://diy.edibleplanet.org/diy-ethanol-alcohol-production-for-internal-combustion-engines

I realise you won't be able to produce gallons at a time very easily, AND you would have to be very careful to avoid dangerous fumes building up that could cause a fire, but I think that prices will eventually drive some to go down this route. Even if you fill your tank with 80% petrol and 20% Ethanol there may be savings to be had, (Once you take into account the cost of sugar, yeast, heating, building a still etc).

Any thoughts?

G

grumpyoldb

Some of my homebrew would probably cure your tickover problems. It certainly keeps me running. :pDT_Xtremez_31:

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I used to make Bio-Diesel when I had an Oil Burning Omega. Same power, drivability etc and all for 14p per mile once all costs were factored in.

The mixture kicked off some funky fumes at times. So much so that I 'aqquired' some proper S10 cannisters to combat them.

It was a great excuse to drink Whisky afterwards as I told the missus that the Ethanol in the alcohol effectively combats the Methanol fumes I had inhaled.