• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hire car discount codes

230Tiger

Sergeant
Anyone know of a good discount code for car hire in the UK, preferably from one of the big companies? I'm coming over on holiday for a month in June and it's already costing me a fortune.

Blue72

SAC
Not a discount code but I've found excellent prices through car Rentals dot com - a recent three day hire of the smallest thing available cost me under £30 - that was booked a week in advance. Click through from cashback site Topcashback for a few £'s extra back too. For popular holiday times abroad, always book ahead, but for UK hires it often seems better to leave it until the last minute.

Another thing to remember is to use an external site for excess insurance - the hire firm will then ping their deposit amount through against your credit card, but the money is only actually taken if you do damage it, then you claim back against the external policy. Take a look at Money saving Expert to see what Martin Lewis has to say on the subject.

gray

Sergeant
Europcar do an alleged 20% military discount, checked and it saved me about a £5 on a hypothetical 3 day hire for a Fiat 500.... better than nothing :)

Link through Defence Discount Service website.

Blue72

SAC
Something else I found which was useful to know was that exactly the same hire, going direct to Budget rather than through the 3rd party site, would have been in the region of twice the price. whether the same applies to other hire companies I have no idea, definitely worth checking though!

Also - there is an old thread on here which suggests that if you go through the Forces Discount scheme to Europcar they may well charge you more... http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?34455-No-so-good-Forces-Discount-(Car-Hire)

Last edited: