• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hi. Info on TPW or an Intel unit?

Spawn

LAC
Hi all. I'm conscious of not posting a bone recruiting thread, I just have a couple of bits of info I'd like, if anyone can help.

Ive searched the RAF Website and the Auggie recruiting threads on here so I'm not going in blind.

I'm currently a police officer with a fair bit of experience (10 years) but I'm hoping to change jobs soon and be self employed.

I've a lot of experience in different branches of civpol and I'm researching joining the RauxAF/reserves.

I've narrowed it down to either 3 Sqn at Henlow or an Intel unit as an Int Analyst.

Can anyone tell me what day to day life is like in either of these units? What's the training like, what sort of annual camps/trips are done?

Ive 6 years TA experience in a Recce unit with 1 Telic tour under my belt too (left to join the Police).

Cheers

Tocsin

LAC
Hi, and welcome to the Goat...

Int jobs are different to most reserve units in that you will likely be working as an individual or in very small teams, and the tasks and capabilities are varied - and , no, I can't give any examples! You may get a flavour of the work by attending an information day and asking the Sqn personnel there about what they do...

The selection process and training are both lengthy, and your first couple of 'annual camps' will be devoted to training. After that, there is no Sqn annual camp - ACT will be used for further individual courses, or better still providing Int support to exercises - I did two last year, both in the UK, but overseas ones are available.

As you have done Telic, I won't talk about deployments, but be aware that they are normally six-monthers nowadays (plus extensive PDT).

Hope that helps - feel free to ask more, and I'll answer what I can.

Spawn

LAC
Hi, and welcome to the Goat...

Int jobs are different to most reserve units in that you will likely be working as an individual or in very small teams, and the tasks and capabilities are varied - and , no, I can't give any examples! You may get a flavour of the work by attending an information day and asking the Sqn personnel there about what they do...

The selection process and training are both lengthy, and your first couple of 'annual camps' will be devoted to training. After that, there is no Sqn annual camp - ACT will be used for further individual courses, or better still providing Int support to exercises - I did two last year, both in the UK, but overseas ones are available.

As you have done Telic, I won't talk about deployments, but be aware that they are normally six-monthers nowadays (plus extensive PDT).

Hope that helps - feel free to ask more, and I'll answer what I can.

Thanks for that