• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help

I

irish148

I have been serving int he RAF since 2001 and i'm leaving this month after 9 yrs service an i need some advice. I have had a knee injury since training and i still have it. It hasn't got any better and it is affecting me in civiy street as well. the doctors havent really helped at all . I have also left cyprus and my medical notes were sent to my new unit. cause i was non affected staff they have sent them back to cyprus. I am due to clear the unit and ive been told tht I can still leave for good on the 28th even though I dont know if i've had the right discharge medical and I require a copy of all my medical notes. I am currently stressed out to the ying yang and I am also seeing a chiropractor ref my knee and she has made my knee a wee bit better but I'm paying for this. I am not very happy with the way the RAF has treated me and I would like to know if I can do anything to claim against them and to claim for the treatment i am getting now. I have been downgraded since 2004 and if i would of received the correct treatment then I would of been able to sign on and continue my career as I do not want to leave, but this is affecting me doing a normal civiy job too cause of their neglect. Please can someone give me some adivse on these two issues as im being passed from pillar to post and i am after all a human being not an animal

T

trash

I am not very happy with the way the RAF has treated me and I would like to know if I can do anything to claim against them

Unless there are exceptional circumstances, any injury claim has a statue of limitation, you must claim within three years of the injury.

If you are looking at the Employment Tribunal route - things have to be in place within twelve months of the last action.

From what I read in your post, (I am not legally qualified, just my own opinion,) I can't see what you can do.

Drill Bit

Sergeant
So what are you saying? Are you saying that:

a) As a result of RAF training you injured your knee?

b) Your knee injury occurred whilst on training but was not a result of training and/or the service?

c) Are you just upset that you're having to leave the forces and are looking for a payout to help ease the pain?

How do you know you'd have been offered an extension of service if you'd had you knee fixed?

Sergeant
I have been serving int he RAF since 2001 and i'm leaving this month after 9 yrs service an i need some advice. I have had a knee injury since training and i still have it. It hasn't got any better and it is affecting me in civiy street as well. the doctors havent really helped at all . I have also left cyprus and my medical notes were sent to my new unit. cause i was non affected staff they have sent them back to cyprus. I am due to clear the unit and ive been told tht I can still leave for good on the 28th even though I dont know if i've had the right discharge medical and I require a copy of all my medical notes. I am currently stressed out to the ying yang and I am also seeing a chiropractor ref my knee and she has made my knee a wee bit better but I'm paying for this. I am not very happy with the way the RAF has treated me and I would like to know if I can do anything to claim against them and to claim for the treatment i am getting now. I have been downgraded since 2004 and if i would of received the correct treatment then I would of been able to sign on and continue my career as I do not want to leave, but this is affecting me doing a normal civiy job too cause of their neglect. Please can someone give me some adivse on these two issues as im being passed from pillar to post and i am after all a human being not an animal
once you are out you can claim for a war disability pension,go to www.veterans-uk.info or write to-
service personnel and veterans agency
norcross
thornton-cleveleys
lancfy5 3wp
tell 08001692277
im claiming for a back injury i sustained when working on the line, but you can only claim it once you have left the mob,ie when you are a veteran. if you need to know more about the process pm me.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
As above the injury happened in a period covered by the war pension, I would recommend contacting RAFA now, they'll send you a pack up and provide assistance with the process. You could try the RBL but they are maxed at the moment and don't have the time to help you as much.

The Employment tribunal doesn't matter in this case nor does what could've happened, you've got an injury it'll be assessed you'll get an award you'll appeal and it will be made higher.

Good luck, you really need to get hold of your med docs so you can present evidence of injury and poor treatment if it occurred.

T

trash

The Employment tribunal doesn't matter in this case nor does what could've happened, you've got an injury it'll be assessed you'll get an award you'll appeal and it will be made higher.

If I read the Op correctly, he wanted to 'take on' the RAF, as he feels they have 'let him down?'

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
If you had a knee injury since 2001 how has it not got better? Did you report it?

Surely you have attended physio, numerous medical boards etc in the past 9 years to diagnose what was wrong?

C

CC

Speak with the Royal British Legion, they'll let you know if you have a case.

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
Just to play the old devils here, and lets face it there are some good solicitors out there who can rip stories appart.

Is this a case of, happy in the RAF, now being discharged, suddenly the knee has started to really hurt! As mentioned above, there must be a history of physio and treatment so how come it never got sorted in 9 years.

On a slightly friendlier note, and I am not sure how true it is, I am sure I heard that you cannot be discharged with an injury caused by serving until that injury has been corrected. But as said I am sure someone will correct me on that one.

What ever the situation best of luck for the future, it seems ridiculous that we are loosing people who want to stay when we see plenty of others who arent.