• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help with RAF Reserve Roles

Hello. I'm thinking of joining the RAF Reserves and I currently live in Belfast. I was particularly interested in the roles of Intelligence and Air and Space Operations. Is there anyone here could shed some light on what exactly is involved in these roles as the information online is very limited. Thanks in advance.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You tend to join the reserves that are nearest to you. Is that possible in your current location?

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Hi, as an ex-member of 7010(VR) Sqn RAuxAF I might be able to shed some light on the Int side.
Depending on whether you join 7010 or 7006 you will have to travel to the mainland as neither squadrons have any locations in NI. Both squadrons are headquartered at HQ Int Reserves, RAF Waddington near Lincoln. 7010 work from RAF Marham (Norfolk) and RAF Wyton (Cambridgeshire) and from memory 7006 are located at various other UK RAF bases.
You would have to complete Basic Reserve Training or Reserve Officer Initial Training and then trade training, again both on the mainland. Once through trade training attendance is or was one weekend per month plus fifteen days continuous training every year. On the plus side you get paid for travel but the big questions are (1) can you make the duty commitment, (2) would the amount of time in transit be worth it and (3) could you fit it in with the rest of your life. Hope this helps.

Yea theres 502 Squadron at Aldergrove (Belfast/Antrim). I guess what im after is info on the roles here. The committment side of things isnt an issue as im in the Civil Service and they would give me the time off etc. thanks

Hi, as an ex-member of 7010(VR) Sqn RAuxAF I might be able to shed some light on the Int side.
Depending on whether you join 7010 or 7006 you will have to travel to the mainland as neither squadrons have any locations in NI. Both squadrons are headquartered at HQ Int Reserves, RAF Waddington near Lincoln. 7010 work from RAF Marham (Norfolk) and RAF Wyton (Cambridgeshire) and from memory 7006 are located at various other UK RAF bases.
You would have to complete Basic Reserve Training or Reserve Officer Initial Training and then trade training, again both on the mainland. Once through trade training attendance is or was one weekend per month plus fifteen days continuous training every year. On the plus side you get paid for travel but the big questions are (1) can you make the duty commitment, (2) would the amount of time in transit be worth it and (3) could you fit it in with the rest of your life. Hope this helps.
Yea theres 502 Squadron at Aldergrove (Belfast/Antrim). I guess what im after is info on the roles here. The committment side of things isnt an issue as im in the Civil Service and they would give me the time off etc. thanks