• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help wanted to identify RAF medals

SgtH

LAC
Gentlemen of the RAF, i need your assistance.
I came to e-goat, for, hopefully a sensible answer.
Remembrence day,Nottingham, 12 Nov, seen this guy in uniform, and it looked highly suspicous
Does anyone identify these medals, as i have no clue what they are.
Many thanks ''H''

Attachments

• IMG_4914 - Copy.PNG
    IMG_4914 - Copy.PNG
    79.2 KB · Views: 1

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I don't suppose you have a clearer picture do you? It's the badge on his eppalette that might give it away?

Was he with any Air Cadets by any chance? Coukd he be a Spacey Adult SNCO?

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Hmmm, the one on the left looks rather like a 14-15 Star... if it is then a serving Sgt certainly wouldn't have earned it on his own account!!!! If it is a relative's medal (Grandfather or Great Grandfather) then I would have expected a Sgt to know not to wear it on that side (if at all...).

I'm not a fan of wearing a relative's medals; I can understand the NoK (Widow or child) doing it but after the first generation it just feels wrong, especially for 'just' campaign medals. I did see a VC on a right breast at our War Memorial on Sun but we did have 2 WW1 VC winners from the town and at least one of the families does still live locally.

I must admit, FOMz, that the epaulette looks suspiciously like VRT....

Last edited:

SgtH

LAC
yes, he is a Sgt(ATC)
the first medal is a 'General Service Cross'' (Bigbury mint - £62 inc VAT) it's the one nearest, i can't identify, and wonderedi it was, actually genuine..... but probably not!!
like yoursellf, i got mine, supporting overseas ops, not surfing online shops!!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If it’s a spacey SNCO, I’d suggest that these could be a jubilee medal and the reserves medal, which IIRC is oval in shape.

I doubt a anyone in a genuine uniform would dare to wear online or others medal on this side of their chest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sulky

SAC
i have checked some medal charts, and i agree the photo isnt clear, but the right looks like the volunteer reserve medal (just about). I have no idea what the left one is at all, doesnt seem to match anthing that i can find. I service help at the spaccies and it defo isnt the cadet medal

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
what ever they are, they are not service issue and should not be worn with uniform, you shouldn't even wear your relatives whilst in uniform.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Hmmm, the one on the left looks rather like a 14-15 Star... if it is then a serving Sgt certainly wouldn't have earned it on his own account!!!! If it is a relative's medal (Grandfather or Great Grandfather) then I would have expected a Sgt to know not to wear it on that side (if at all...).

I'm not a fan of wearing a relative's medals; I can understand the NoK (Widow or child) doing it but after the first generation it just feels wrong, especially for 'just' campaign medals. I did see a VC on a right breast at our War Memorial on Sun but we did have 2 WW1 VC winners from the town and at least one of the families does still live locally.

I must admit, FOMz, that the epaulette looks suspiciously like VRT....

Yep, I'd say that's a 14-15 Star on the left, but the ribbon seems to be backwards (should be red-white-blue, not blue-white-red, but then a 100 year old medal has probably been re-ribboned).

Looks to me like a ATC SNEC wearing his parents / grandparents medals, unfortunately on the wrong side of his uniform. But he's ATC - does he really give a sh!t??

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Yep, I'd say that's a 14-15 Star on the left, but the ribbon seems to be backwards (should be red-white-blue, not blue-white-red, but then a 100 year old medal has probably been re-ribboned).

Looks to me like a ATC SNEC wearing his parents / grandparents medals, unfortunately on the wrong side of his uniform. But he's ATC - does he really give a sh!t??

I think he might be trying to big himself up a bit there though.....:pDT_Xtremez_14:

SgtH

LAC
The first one, is a ''General Service Cross'', and the second looks like the ''National Service Medal'',both available from the Big(yourself up)bury Mint, for about £62 each.
The question is, for the love of god, WHY???
This smacks of ''Dangerous Fantasist'' bigging himself up, while incharge of other peoples children !!!

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
If someone's gonna buy some medals and wear 'em just to look big and clever, surely they'd put a LITTLE bit of research effort into them? I mean, have we even issued cross-shaped medals in this guy's lifetime?

I reckon they're an ebay job.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Might they be medals given to public safety people? Some of them are authorised by the Crown so he would be able to wear if he earned them in his day-job.

It would be sad to have "discovered" another walt...

Question to the OP - is this photo flipped?

Then all of a sudden the 14-15 star makes sense - and they're wearing it on the correct side....