• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help! Need gen on med discharge....

M

mastersnapper

Having served for 20.5 "official" years, I am facing a med board, and have been told that I don't stand a chance of keeping my job.

As I have an illness not an injury, I have been informed that I only qualify for a preserved pension, payable at 60/65.

Obviously, I feel more than a little upset about this, especially with only 18 months to go to an immeadiate pension.

Has anybody had any experience of this, or have have any hints or tips that may be of any use?

The best quote from this has been from my admin WO, with "You've been shafted!"

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi.

Have you taken time off work with the illness or have you been able to perform some of your duties?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
RBL and RAFA should be your port of call.

When you have your board you do get to have a chat, you'll have the opportunity to make your wishes known and you may be allowed to stay until the 22 especially as you'll get at least 6 months for leave and resettlement.

P

pie sandwich

I am unsure of how it stands now, but if your condition was diagnosed before 2005 then you would get a war pension.
After that it's called something else.

But you should receive a lump sum plus a monthly pension upon release because you are being med discharged.

You should get in touch with the Service personnel and veteran agency they will be the people who will deal with everything because your case file should get sent to them.

You get a payout and immediate war pension if the illness is Service attributable, or you can prove that the care provided by the military made your condition worse. Whatever you do, get hold of a copy of your medical records asap. Mine were conveniently 'lost' when we tried to get them on my discharge.

Then I'm pretty sure you don't get anything - sorry. Speak to the War Pension people (or whatever they are called these days) - I've always found them really helpful.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Then I'm pretty sure you don't get anything - sorry. Speak to the War Pension people (or whatever they are called these days) - I've always found them really helpful.

Perfect, a pat on the back for the last 20 years hard work.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
You need to check with people in the know, my wife was medically discharged for a condition that was not caused by the service and at the time they admitted no liability for making it worse.

She got enhanced ressettlement and a medical pension on discharge, just over 12 years service, although this was under the old WP rules.

So with a nice lump sum and a monthly income secured we then pushed to highlight how her treatment had made her condition worse, we managed at jump the first hurdle and get a War Pension but couldn't get it proven beyond doubt so didn't get an extra compensation payment.

Now my wife's condition was not caused by her service, it would have happened no matter what, but she still got a medical discharge and a Service Invaliding Pension at the point of exit.

Notred13

LAC
You will get a SIP, as your illness is not service attributable you will pay tax on this, but as you are close to your 22 you will find that the enhanced pension paid as a SIP will be better than you would have received had you left normally at 22. Be aware, you can commute no more than your 3 x pension gratuity on med discharge. On balance though, you will be much better off leaving now with a med discharge than waiting until you have completed your 22 and taking the immediate pension and gratuity. Have a look at the Pensions page on the MOD website and also do a search for SPVA; they have a few PDF leaflets that explain your pension scheme quite well. Feel free to PM me as I am going through a similar situation and have done loads of research on the subject. I start to get my pension at the end of the month so I'll find out if my conclusions have been correct.cup of corrrfeeeCheers.