• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help - A Job For The Painters

M

mrfantastic

Afternoon all,

Was just wondering if the RAF painters done private jobs in their spare time or maybe for some "training" value, obviously rewarded for their time in slabs of beer!

I've recently purchased the tail from a Lightning jet fighter and I plan to display it, however, it does need a repaint and new markings applied. Do the painters apply the codes and markings as well?

The jet itself is actually quite famous so I was really keen to see part of it saved, the rest apart from the cockpit has been scrapped :pDT_Xtremez_21:

I'm in central Scotland so Leuchars would be the ideal camp. I'm going to try and get a hold of the paint shops on Monday and have a chat with the WO or FS.

Cheers in advance!

Oh and for those of you too young to know what a Lightning is, the one at the front of this photo...
img0021.jpg

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
The RAF painter trade was decimated in the last 2 years and all the sections have been contractorised. There are still RAF painters about, but the bosses are mostly civvy now. Good luck if you can find some one to help you, but the possiblity of it being done as a freebie would be remote.

M

mrfantastic

Cheers for the info mate. I kinda thought it would be like that these days. Gone are the good old days where a few slabs of beer got you anything you wanted! I can but try though.
The RAF painter trade was decimated in the last 2 years and all the sections have been contractorised. There are still RAF painters about, but the bosses are mostly civvy now. Good luck if you can find some one to help you, but the possiblity of it being done as a freebie would be remote.

W

Wannoscrew

Just to let you know, yes we did apply everything to the surface finish, all roundal's, letters, numbers, sqn info etc. But the Light Kites were always in their base metal airframe with a simple protectant called (forgive me all other painters if I get this wrong) Ardox, or Ardrox.

May I suggest you give it to the local ATC Squadron to renovate as they will have the contacts to get the advise on how to clean it correctly and refurbish.