• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has the Gender equality thing gone wrong?

Martin Blank

Sergeant
I'm battening down the hatches for incoming but......
In the news we are constantly hearing about gender inequality women dont get to do enough of this or that, gltb rights
Even RAF Bird has had a crack about the positive discrimination out there.
Then in even our own MOD is smashing on about Women in Defence awards, hyping up females in engineering environments
There are no Men in Defence awards
No one shouting why arent more men midwives, male primary school teachers, nursery nurses....or even just nurses or the miriad of other female biased roles
What happened to just being people in jobs doing their jobs......

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Promotions have got to be earned somehow and what better way then hyping all stuff like that ;):pDT_Xtremez_42:

The RAF used to be a meritocracy, not so much now it seems.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
As an instructor I have been told to get someone through because they didn't want to see a female fail as it might not fair well for others considering it.

And it grated me to do so....

StickyFingers

Sergeant
As an instructor I have been told to get someone through because they didn't want to see a female fail as it might not fair well for others considering it.

And it grated me to do so....

You lack integrity then. If they were not up to the job you shouldn't have passed them.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You lack integrity then. If they were not up to the job you shouldn't have passed them.

Controversial! They would have found another to pass her. At least I was able to give her some remedial actions. She wasn't dangerous just not all that effective and after the event left within 12 months as I heard.

When the pressure bears down on you, especially when deployed you play the cards you have with some intelligence and don't shoot yourself in the face in the process.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Controversial! They would have found another to pass her. At least I was able to give her some remedial actions. She wasn't dangerous just not all that effective and after the event left within 12 months as I heard.

When the pressure bears down on you, especially when deployed you play the cards you have with some intelligence and don't shoot yourself in the face in the process.

I'd gladly take that bullet in the face so I didn't lose..... Face.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'd gladly take that bullet in the face so I didn't lose..... Face.

Damn right. I would never sign off an individual if I wasn't happy with them and that included the master race who couldn't be arsed turning up.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
The latest ad campaign of a bunch of women stood in an a/c hangar with the slogan "We also recuit men" hasnt done us much favours and there have been some quite nasty personal comments made on Fill yer Boots on facebook.

Never once have I felt the need to make a song and dance about being a "woman" in the RAF. I am a member of the RAF end of. Granted I am not one of the Aircraft Techie trades and cant speak for every woman, but a very good friend of mine is TG1 and she too has never felt the need to make an issue of it.

To be quite honest I dont really care what the % of females are in each trade or on execs or in high ranking positions, as I genuinely do think that in this day and age surely people are judged on their merit. I dont know, maybe I'm just blinkered as I've never experienced discrimination.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Thing is, in order to get the equality piece right, we don't NEED to do this sort of thing. This is just the MOD swapping out negative discrimination for positive discrimination. What we need is to stop highlighting people because of their gender, sexuality, ethnicity, or anything else. We're all 'personnel', so we should be focusing on that, rather than highlighting specific groups.

Is there any indication that this sort of group-targeting advertising actually works?