• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Happy Rosen Montag

Toonman

SAC
Today is Rosen Montag and my wife who is from Goch is watching on the German television. This has brought back memories of a happier time. These are images from Rosen Montag in Goch 1973. The "Enterprise" was from Avionics section at Laarbruch and the other was from the WRAF's sponsored by the Daily Express.

Carnival-1973-01.jpg

Carnival-1973-02.jpg

Carnival-1973-03.jpg

Carnival-1973-04.jpg

Carnival-1973-05.jpg

Last edited:

Shugster

Warrant Officer
'Tis a good day indeed! I'm almost alone at work Today and can actually get things done whilst everyone is out partying and not calling me every 5 minutes.

It's the end of Carnival season tomorrow so there'll be alot of sore heads on Wednesday morning.
:pDT_Xtremez_26:

T93

Sergeant
Same here

Same here

I can only see Two others in the office today. Very quiet indeed + School holidays this week in Bayern, so the drive in was pleasant.

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Great piccies mate. Brought back many, many happy memories from my time living in Goch in the late '80s. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

masks and sticks

masks and sticks

yep remember Weeze and Goch in 1979 and women wearing masks and tapping blokes on the shoulder with a small stick if they wanted to dance with them.
Wonder if they still do it..havent seen it down in Bayern.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I dont think Karnival goes any further south than Koln!

Super pics, and greatly stirred memories of Goch in the early 80's, and the early and late 90's. Beer & knickers everywhere.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
I dont think Karnival goes any further south than Koln!

Super pics, and greatly stirred memories of Goch in the early 80's, and the early and late 90's. Beer & knickers everywhere.

Tell that to everyone who's out on the shed here then... and you can't get much further south. :pDT_Xtremez_26:

Toonman

SAC
In the southern areas of Germany the celebration is called "Fashing" but is basically the same as Rosen Montag. (Any excuse for a P**s up)

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Anyone who remembers Goch with fondness might like a read of this:- http://www.51hd.co.uk/accounts/john_mcgregor
Almost 65 years earllier to the day, and possibly the same street:
0,,2757424_4,00.jpg

My missus used to roll her eyes in frustration when we were wandering down the road and I'd stick my finger in some random bullet hole :pDT_Xtremez_19:.

Last edited:
E

eric the red

How do you know it's the same street? I remember many of the old buildings still showing bullet or blast damage, specially around the Goch railway station area, when I was first at Laarbruch 74 to 76.

I also always enjoyed the carneval periods in Goch and took part the year Bill Hall (I think that was his name) became the first brit carneval prince. I think that was in 75.

Down in Munich it just isn't the same in my view. Although I enjoy many of the Fasching events down here (it would be silly not to) it just isn't as good as in the areas around Cologne. just my view though.

T93

Sergeant
Down in Munich it just isn't the same in my view. Although I enjoy many of the Fasching events down here (it would be silly not to) it just isn't as good as in the areas around Cologne. just my view though.[/QUOTE]

EtR,

Off Topic I guess we must be close as I am looking out of One of the windows in the o2 Tower today. The tall building on Georg Brauchle Ring.

The street karnivals are great, but the events shown on the TV are dire. Played out by old rich men to be viewed by old poor men + the jokes are sooo bad.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Bill Hall was indeed his name!

He was a truly nice guy who worked hard.

He ran all sorts of businesses under the "Bill Hall Enterprises" name, including guided trips around Germany and cheap scheduled coach trips back to UK.

He was an ex-MT driver who became the German Liaison Officer for Laarbruch. Then he became the first (and only?) British Karnival Prinz for Goch, and then became a Councillor and, I believe, Mayor of Goch. Unfortunately he died suddenly about 2000/2001. Greatly missed by those that knew him.

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
Dose any one remember having to keep a firm grip on your ties on entering the mess, just in case the civvi women cut them off and have their wicked way with you?
But then again as Techies don't wear ties I dowt you had the pleasure. :pDT_Xtremez_19:

G

grumpyoldb

Bill Hall was indeed his name!

He was a truly nice guy who worked hard.

He ran all sorts of businesses under the "Bill Hall Enterprises" name, including guided trips around Germany and cheap scheduled coach trips back to UK.

He was an ex-MT driver who became the German Liaison Officer for Laarbruch. Then he became the first (and only?) British Karnival Prinz for Goch, and then became a Councillor and, I believe, Mayor of Goch. Unfortunately he died suddenly about 2000/2001. Greatly missed by those that knew him.

I thought Bill was an ex-shiney? :pDT_Xtremez_41:
He gave german lessons a couple of evenings per week and also worked behind the bar in the mally.