• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Halton for the Reservist – a SAGA holiday for the restless Giffer (Pt 1)

fatalbert

SAC
St...i.n.cs,

Why are you doing this? If you joined as an apprentice at the very end of the '70s you are at least 51 years old. You are now training to be a Regiment supplier, if I have read the thread correctly. You have my respect, I wouldn't want to go through the training again in my fifties. But again, why are you doing this? The £34 a day cannot be the driver, surely? What is your present civilian job? I'm enjoying reading your blog btw, but some background would be interesting.

Good luck, and best wishes,

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I am nothing to do with Regiment - they just run the 15 days residency training in FP. I am Logs pure and simple

There are several people like me, and none of us has satisfactorily answered your excellent question.

I think it's a little because having experience of how things are done in the real world, and how they try to do the same thing in the mob, there ought to be some effort to make something better - that is more than the sum of its parts...

..that, and time on my hands, post mid life crisis, any label you want applies really.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I am nothing to do with Regiment - they just run the 15 days residency training in FP. I am Logs pure and simple

There are several people like me, and none of us has satisfactorily answered your excellent question.

I think it's a little because having experience of how things are done in the real world, and how they try to do the same thing in the mob, there ought to be some effort to make something better - that is more than the sum of its parts...

..that, and time on my hands, post mid life crisis, any label you want applies really.

It's got to be the free shoes right?

fatalbert

SAC

Thanks Stevie.. It's an interesting and undoubtedly true answer you have given. Do you think you, and the other people like you, will be able to give the RAF feed-back that will lead to an improvement?

I ask because I'm in a senior position with a European aerospace company, heavily involved with a NATO led multi-national aircraft programme. I constantly witness the ways that a number of military flying organisations are organised and administered. In every case I see a mismatch between reality and the stylized or regimented way in which the military organizations conduct themselves. Having read your blog I realize that you have seen both sides at a reasonably high management level; and hence your thought provoking reply to my earlier question.

In my job I routinely meet group captain, one-star or two-star level serving personnel who have no idea whatsoever when it comes to how the 'real world', or industry, works. In many cases they are totally shielded from reality. Luckily for most of them the maximum of 2 years in a position seems to protect them!

I'd be interested in Vim_Fuego's views on this as well. The intelligent views that is, nothing to do with apparel.