• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GYH(T) Question

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Question for our resident shiny bottoms.....

Mr Sniffer has just been posted to a Unit 42 miles and about an hours travelling time there and about an hour and 15 mins home (traffic). Due to the travelling time (meaning he is out of the house for approx 12 hours each day) he has got a room in the block and so has applied for GYH(T).

He has been told that he cannot claim this as the Unit is less than 50 miles from home. The JSP does state that cases below 50 miles can be passed to PACCC for review if the travelling time precludes a daily commute. So my question is does anyone have a vague idea as to what is classed as an "acceptable" commute time.

And before any of you civvies start quoting how far you "have" to drive/commute to work and that that 42 miles/an hour'ish commute is nothing, I will just state that as a civvy you have a choice in where you work.

glen

SAC
No harm in appealing to PACC - i lived 47 miles away and travel time was roughly the same but got rejected. I gen apped to travel daily using public transport as wife needed car - put in times i would have to leave to get to work and what time i would have to leave to get home - obviously my boss rejected this as was leaving home before 6 and still not getting to work to 09:30 but gave this to chief clerk to try add strength to my case.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
It just doesnt make sense to commute daily from either a welfare or a financial aspect.

It will cost the RAF £207 a month to pay him Home to Duty.

If they allowed him to stay in the block it would cost them £65 'ish.

LilStill

Sergeant
Question for our resident shiny bottoms.....

Mr Sniffer has just been posted to a Unit 42 miles and about an hours travelling time there and about an hour and 15 mins home (traffic). Due to the travelling time (meaning he is out of the house for approx 12 hours each day) he has got a room in the block and so has applied for GYH(T).

He has been told that he cannot claim this as the Unit is less than 50 miles from home. The JSP does state that cases below 50 miles can be passed to PACCC for review if the travelling time precludes a daily commute. So my question is does anyone have a vague idea as to what is classed as an "acceptable" commute time.

And before any of you civvies start quoting how far you "have" to drive/commute to work and that that 42 miles/an hour'ish commute is nothing, I will just state that as a civvy you have a choice in where you work.

JSP 752 Chp 4 Sect 7 para 04.0715 suggests, for Home to Duty using public transport, that 90 minutes is the maximum normal time. I suspect this would be the figure they'd come back with, although travel by car is to be assessed purely on mileage.

Submit to PACCC, it can't hurt!