• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Guest Speakers

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Has anyone got any suggestions of reasonably priced after dinner speakers for a Mess Guest Night? Ideally I want to avoid the usual sports personalities and have someone that will also be of interest to the Wives and Girlfriends.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I have a couple of suggestions who charge in the "low thousands" and would probably be willing to negotiate downwards for an impoverished mess.

Nicholas Parsons or Giles Brandreth. I've been at do's where they have basically owned the evening.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Taget audiences in the "old folks home" these days are generally people in their mid 30's to 40's, so whilst your two suggestions may have plenty to talk about, I dont think either are going have people grappling for tickets. Its difficult trying to find that balance of affordability and popularity.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It would help to know your budget?

Beefeater

Beefeater

It would help to know your budget?

I went to one once and the guest speaker was a serving Beefeater from the Tower of London.

I thought it was going to be dull but it was incredibly interesting - how he became one, the criteria, what its like to live there, daily duties etc. Doubt it cost much - free beer, travel and accomodation I imagine.

Allflapnofly

Corporal
Book Ed Balls and Ed Milliband as a double act......They've got a bit of time on their hands.....Especially if the target audience suffer from insomnia......they'll cure it.....

Webbo

Sergeant
We recently had Neil 'Razor' Ruddock as a guest speaker in the mess.

Funny.............Quite.

Q&A................ Better than his 'speaking'

IMHO, quite a good night due to his honesty in the bar afterwards, however I thought he was overpriced for what he got, his fee, free bar and free accommodation. (And boy can he put the booze away)

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
We had Brian Cox for an event and also had the Stig. Both where very good speakers and very chatty in the bar afterwards. Can't comment on price as I wasn't on the committee.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm funny and interesting and I've got a few windows in my diary coming up.