• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Grob planted on airfield

P

pie sandwich

That might be why I never heard anything when I was sat in HAMS.

But not a good way to go ejecting into the ground, but the one saving grace is it was very very quick way to go.

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Hope the youngster piloting the Grob is OK and suitably embarrased.

He is in good company though as in the early 90's the CO at Coningsby took a Tonka for an air test. Max reheat selected for take off but forgot to take the brakes off. 100 yards later the main wheels were ground down to a half moon shape.

OOP's should have followed SOP's:pDT_Xtremez_24:

Pilot is fine, walked away slightly embarrassed though. Now who let the woman drive?

The funny thing being that Trumpton deployed after the first impact (attempted landing) obviously expecting the worst.

Now I do have a question with regards to the aftermath. Why didn't UBAS clear up the debris from the runway? They were responsible for it after all. When I was down sarf the Vickers Whisperjet decided to explode all 4 main wheels on one side over the runway. Did we get 1435 or 78 Sqn to clean up? Did we feck. I think the least they can do is send fome beer to those who did the mop up for them.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Now I do have a question with regards to the aftermath. Why didn't UBAS clear up the debris from the runway? They were responsible for it after all. When I was down sarf the Vickers Whisperjet decided to explode all 4 main wheels on one side over the runway. Did we get 1435 or 78 Sqn to clean up? Did we feck. I think the least they can do is send fome beer to those who did the mop up for them.

I have a feeling its one of the many post crash management principles. If it was because of a engineering issue or the aircrew had something aboard they shouldn't have then people from the same environment must not be involved with the clean up.

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
The only things that need clearing up were bits of mashed prop (wood) and some small parts of bodywork from where it attempted to plough the airfield. Now I hardly think a grob tutor will have anything onboard that shouldn't be there in all honesty. I think UBAS were just being precious as it was a little bit chilly outside.

There were certainly no engineering issues that I'm aware of with this incident, apart from the surface of the runway being slightly harder and less brittle than a wood and fibreglass aeroplane.