• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Grampian nhs ban Easter

G

gemarriott

In the paper today in Bonny Jockland

Grampian Region NHS have cancelled public holidays at Easter. They maintain there is no place for Christian religious holidays in today's multicultural society.

to his credit one of the leaders of the local muslim community is flipping his lid and calling them ridiculous for banning the holidays asking " is Christmas next on the list? I know of many fellow muslims who are Doctors and would not wish to see Christian colleagues denied the Easter celebrations"

Realist78

Master of my destiny
grampian nhs easter ban

grampian nhs easter ban

The ultra pc @rsewipes are totally out of order. If the muslim leaders agree that it's b@llocks, then that should be good enough. How far down this road must we go. Has anyone seen 'Children of Men' and thought 'that could be Britain in 20 years time!' Carry on with this sh1te and that's where we are heading.:pDT_Xtremez_25:

R

referee806

In the paper today in Bonny Jockland

Grampian Region NHS have cancelled public holidays at Easter. They maintain there is no place for Christian religious holidays in today's multicultural society.

to his credit one of the leaders of the local muslim community is flipping his lid and calling them ridiculous for banning the holidays asking " is Christmas next on the list? I know of many fellow muslims who are Doctors and would not wish to see Christian colleagues denied the Easter celebrations"

Good God this makes my blood boil!!:pDT_Xtremez_14:

ForgottenName

Trekkie Nerd
I have never known a hospital close down for a public holiday anyway - so what difference is this going to make. Or are they going to make nursing staff take their own leave entitlement if they want time off at Xmas and Easter - thats just another way of introducing a pay cut.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm really surprised by this move by the Grampian NHS trust...Having lived up there for 11 years one of the most frustrating things I had to endure was the areas total lack of inability to make changes of any kind to bring itself into line with some/most of the rest of the country...

It's neighbours 'Highland' still closed the pubs at 2230 on a Saturday in the late nineties as the next day was the sabbath and they didn't want you yawning in the kirk...And this was in a city (Inverness) FFS...Happily I can report that this situation has now changed!

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Off Topic
they didn't want you yawning in the kirk... I can report that this situation has now changed!

Phew thank fcuk for that.......never knew yawning in kirk was such an offence...i assume swearing is still allowed ?? Off Topic

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Off Topic

Phew thank fcuk for that.......never knew yawning in kirk was such an offence...i assume swearing is still allowed ?? Off Topic

Swearing is the national past time...just try and not get your knob out during the bread and wine buffet...

B

Bill Bones

First I've heard of this. My mum's employed by them. I'll ring up and get the full gen.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Lets face it. Although Easter is a religous occasion, the main reason we enjoy it is for the time off work, regardless of whether we are practising Christians, non-practising Christians or otherwise.

Max

Sergeant
Well I reckon it has nothing to do with religion but some tight W***er has seen it as the ideal way to deprive it's staff of a day off and therefore save money.

I don't see the people at the top being any different to ours a bunch of Cnuts.

L

loopallu

:phew thank fcuk for that.......never knew yawning in kirk was such an offence...i assume swearing is still allowed ?? Off Topic[/QUOTE]

Swearing is all right unless you blaspheme against the Lord then you will have all the holy willies wanting to save your soul

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Well I reckon it has nothing to do with religion but some tight W***er has seen it as the ideal way to deprive it's staff of a day off and therefore save money.

I don't see the people at the top being any different to ours a bunch of Cnuts.
Wrong. In the NHS you start off with 27 days hols and 8 days Bank Hols. If you work from mon to fri you have to use a days hols if you take a bank hol off. For the rest of us who work mon to sun then a BH is just another working day, if we are down to work then we have to work and we take the time off at some other time. Only staff who work during the week get BHs off.

Max

Sergeant
So what is the problem are they dropping the entitlement to 7 days BH or not letting people use one at Easter? Either way it seems that there will be no difference then so no problem?

G

gemarriott

So what is the problem are they dropping the entitlement to 7 days BH or not letting people use one at Easter? Either way it seems that there will be no difference then so no problem?

the problem as laid out by the paper when I initiall started this thread is the erosion of traditional holiday periods in an attempt to appease some perceived religious offence caused to other religions.

Easter is one of only 2 holidays seen as religious by the majority of British Christians the other being Christmas. By removing the apparent entitlement to Easter Monday or good Friday by keeping those departments which would normally have closed for easter open Grampian have effectively removed half the recogntion christianity receives as the nations main moral and spiritual guidance and speaking as a hatch, match and despatch kind of church goer even I find that a little disturbing.

Max

Sergeant
I see what you mean now ;) but what makes me laugh about these over zealous idiots is that moves like this actually annoy the average Muslim as much as us, after all if all our "religious" holidays are effectively removed from the public then surely their religious holidays etc. will be hit eventually.

G

gemarriott

I see what you mean now ;) but what makes me laugh about these over zealous idiots is that moves like this actually annoy the average Muslim as much as us, after all if all our "religious" holidays are effectively removed from the public then surely their religious holidays etc. will be hit eventually.

I don't think that would ever happen though. My wife works in an establishment where all the religious festivals of the Muslim, hindu and Jewish faiths are observed in a spirit of multiculturism but christmas and Easter whilst being holidays are not celebrated. decorations are forbidden at christmas and crosses banned at easter.There are multi faith prayer rooms with copies of holy books but no bibles or crosses. The powers that be point out there are plenty of churches but I would say to counter that argument there are plenty of mosques and temples too!

Again I would stress I am not a deply religious person nor am I even really wildly knowledgeable about the different religions but I do see a need for us to have moral guidance and this country was a far more pleasant place to live in when most of us did look to the christian church for that guidance.

Of course I look across the pond at the bible belt and wonder:pDT_Xtremez_03:

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
As someone who has worked the majority of Bank Holidays since coming out of the RAF, Easter is just another working day, I'd rather have time off when I want it instead of being told. I remember when you looked forward to having a long weekend and getting a 1/2 day stand down on the friday before a monday bank holiday or maybe thurs afternoon off before good friday, but now all the days just blur into one,sunday is like a monday for me.

G

gemarriott

That is the trouble, even weekends have been eroded. No day is different to any other in the 24 hour 7 day a week grind which is exactly why any further erosion should be objected to as strongly as possible. why are shops open on a Sunday? By opening all hours as they do weekends have stopped being family time and are just opportunities to go fecking shopping!

Ignore me folks got a fecking monster hangover and my grumpy head was the opnly one I could find this morning, now where the feck is my hairy dog?

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I take a different view more shops should be opened 24/7. I work permamament nights, (better money and more chance of O/T) but on my days off i have trouble getting back into a daytime routine so I'm usually up at all hours, now if the shops, bars, cafes were opened then I could go out at 2 in the morning LOL. What about us shift workers.

On a different tack my missus works for the NHS ( a different authority to me) she is a ward mamanger who should be doing ward work admin etc running the ward. Because of a moritorium on no O/T she has to do nursing first and then run the ward when she can. I work for a different health authority and can do as much O/T as I want as the ward manager would rather have staff in who knew the patients then get bank staff or agancy staff. I work a 3 day week (11 1/2hrs shifts) for 3 weeks and then 4 days for the 4th, so there is scope for loads of o/t and still get days off. I've still got 10 days leave to get in before the ened of March. I've been having two days leave a week but working 2 other days as o/t, as long a s I dont take the full week off with leave then this is alright LOL. So 2 different health authorities within the same county and two different outllooks towards O/T. Not that I'm complaining about my lot.:pDT_Xtremez_15: