• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Good Int An (I) Books

S

scurvysteve

Hi. I'm looking to get back in as Int An Imagery and am looking for any decent books available in civvy land that might give me a bit of a background and understanding of the skills involved.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers! :pDT_Xtremez_27:

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If I were you, I'd start by giving Chicksands a ring. They should be able to put you on the right track.

I

Inch High PI

Scurvey Steve, you can't actually join up as an Int An (I) anymore, the trade has now merged with the Int An (C) trade forming the new and mighty Int An trade.

After passing basic training you would go on to the Op Air Int Course, then ususally find yourself in and int cell, JARIC or Digby for a few years. After this time you would get the opportunity to do the IA course or a SIGINT course. There are other courses you can do also.

I can't think of any IA books, others on here may do. If you have seved as an IA already then the fundamentals are always going to be the same.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
If you don't fancy all the bollocks again, you could try the Auggies Int Sqn's, at least you won't have to do the Int An (C).

S

scurvysteve

Thanks for the info guys, I should have worded my question better. I know you can't now join as an Int An (I) but I would be hoping to perform that kind of duty.

If anyone knows any decent sites even where I can find a bit more info then that would be really helpful. As you would expect (unsurprisingly) you can't get a lot of specific gen from the AFCO and I'm looking to expand my knowledge base about the trade.

Excepting PI what other stuff would you find yourself doing on a daily basis as an Int An?

(Re: Auggies, I don't mind doing basic et al again, anything to escape the monotony and backstabbing of civvy street. Never thought I'd be so eager to get back in!)

Please PM me if you don't wanna type it for the world to see.

Last edited:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
If your interested in the history of the subject (which is a good start in understanding what's involved in the job today, even in the world of EO and IR Linescan systems) try these three books.

Roy Stanley - To Fool a Glass Eye: Camouflage Versus Photo reconnaissance in World War II

Roy Nesbit -Eyes of the RAF: A History of Photo-Reconnaissance.

Constance Babington-Smith - Evidence in Camera: The Story of Photographic Intelligence in the Second World War.

Last one is most likely a good read, as the author was the queen of RAF Photo interpretation in WWII, as it was she who confirmed the existence of the V-1 Flying bomb.

S

scurvysteve

Excellent, thanks MAINJAFAD, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for.