• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Going soft or being pragmatic???

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Following the deaths on the Breacons of 3 SAS recruits from climatic injuries the MOD issued an apology (something it never does lightly) and has also implemented a number of controls.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11791451/SAS-will-soften-selection-tests-after-Brecon-Beacons-deaths.html

These controls have lead to concerns of going soft...... The linked article states

"The changes will apply to the aptitude test week for the regular and the reserve SAS from next year and will also include more water stops along routes through the Brecon Beacons and practice sessions allowing recruits to be come accustomed to the terrain before their selection week. Some fear this will mean a lowering of standards, making selection “softer and easier”.

What are the Goaters thoughts on this?

Last edited:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
If it stops blokes dying during selection then its alright by me. Dying in defence of your country is a noble way to die, but dying in a pre-selection exercise, whilst tragic, is very avoidable.

That said, hopefully the next 25 years will see the UK stop sticking its beak into foreign affairs that don't directly affect us and concentrate on sorting out our own internal problems.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
And realistically in my view:

If if was that hot and you had all that kit would you not be moving at night where you are unseen and not exposed to the elements, while limiting your energy use and supplies??? Even SAS??

They got it wrong IMHO!!

Need to read the article really but some people are accountable.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Going soft or being pragmatic???

Going soft.

These lads play by big boys rules. To be the best requires mental as well as physical attributes. And the ability to say no, this is too dangerous, is one of the hardest things to learn. If this was a mission, theres no point in being helicoptered to a DZ, then dying on the march to contact.

dctyke

Corporal
I have never seen a syllabus of training in the mil that allowed for time of year or conditions on the day. As a ex ACS instructor i can say that it was A lot easier on a nice summer evening than in a foot of snow in February if the DS did not make allowance for the conditions. If those fellas had done the course in spring or autumn they most probably would have finished the course in good health so it's difficult to set a 'standard' to aim for. You don't have to make the course easier, just have a sliding scale according to the conditions.

Last edited: