• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Going for my Commission.

paulo84

LAC
I am currently an SAC A Tech M (ex sootie) served eight and a half years and ive just gone for my comission as an ENGO Aerosystems. I have a few questions to ask, all the threads i have seen appear to be old but i maybe loking in the wrong place so if any questions i ask have been answered elsewhere please point me in the right direction.
So here goes would my ENGOS support my application regardless or would they only support me if they see my potential( they are currently offering lots help and support my JENGO runs the comissioning club which i ntend to go to as often as work permits and even if it doesn't). what sort of scores should i be looking at getting on the speed time distance questions which you can practice on various websites.( im currently averageing nine out of ten in about twenty seconds) and does anyone have any general tips and suggestions even the most obvious

Thanks in advance for any and all help given

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Good luck with it. Obviously to me you could do with a couple of English lessons and perhaps learn how to proof read.

Drill Bit

Sergeant
I am currently an SAC A Tech M (ex sootie) served eight and a half years and ive just gone for my comission as an ENGO Aerosystems. I have a few questions to ask, all the threads i have seen appear to be old but i maybe loking in the wrong place so if any questions i ask have been answered elsewhere please point me in the right direction.
So here goes would my ENGOS support my application regardless or would they only support me if they see my potential( they are currently offering lots help and support my JENGO runs the comissioning club which i ntend to go to as often as work permits and even if it doesn't). what sort of scores should i be looking at getting on the speed time distance questions which you can practice on various websites.( im currently averageing nine out of ten in about twenty seconds) and does anyone have any general tips and suggestions even the most obvious

Thanks in advance for any and all help given

Only an officer worth his/her salt should support the application of those they believe to have the potential to make an effective officer. If they believe you to be a liability then they should have the moral courage to help you manage your expectations.

Commissioning Club can be worthwhile, but beware the ‘coulda, woulda, shoulda’ brigade. I always find it strange accepting advice from those who haven't succeeded in a particular area; that's not saying those who have failed can't offer sound advice. Just beware.

What I would say, for credibility, and before the grammar and spelling Nazis destroy you, is check your posts for spelling and grammar; there are lots of people who will use it as a stick to beat you with. RAF Bird beat me to it.

Last edited:

paulo84

LAC
I realise my english and grammer needs work, and as such i have sought tuition to rectify this failing i have.

Drill Bit

Sergeant
I realise my english and grammer needs work, and as such i have sought tuition to rectify this failing i have.

Mate, we all have issues with spelling, grammar and typos; whilst I don't know the value of any tuition, what I would say, is get someone to proof read your written comms (where appropriate).

You will get a hammering for it on here, but some people have nothing more constructive to say or do; just take on board what you need, ignore what you don't and don't take it to heart.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
New tip; Write with the keyboard with the speed and punctilliousness that you would apply, were you using a pen and paper and writing an essay. Let your head lead and stay in front of your fingers.

Just like I don't, at times.

If you cannot afford to make a mistake, you are less likely to.

Hi Paulo.

In answer to your first question, any Officer that would recommend you regardless of his views on your potential is not worth the title. Secondly, don't get too fixated on the speed time distance stuff, although your scores sound more than adequate. The aptitude test and planning exercises are just individual elements of a long selection process and everything else is of equal importance. You need to make sure you arrive at OASC as a well rounded candidate to give yourself the best chance.

I assume you're thinking of applying through the Basic Entry Scheme, rather than as a degree qualified entrant (apologies if that is incorrect). If this is the case the whole process is going to be very competitive, and you will be up against some very capable and highly motivated individuals, so be prepared for that. I'm glad to hear that your JEngO is supportive. It is part of an Officers' remit to develop subordinates, but having a boss prepared to go the extra mile is a great inspiration. Commissioning clubs can be fantastic, and I would definitely recommend throwing yourself into it. Any experience you can gain beforehand will make the whole process less daunting, and believe me it is one of the most pressurised situations I've ever been in!

I would recommend researching the whole selection process and make sure you are prepared for all of it. Seek as much outside help and advice as possible to give yourself the best chance. Of course, you can't be excellent at everything, but a lot of what the board are looking for will be in your bearing and the way you approach difficult situations, rather than whether you arrive at the correct solution (often there isn't one!). Personally, I just wanted to be able to walk away knowing that I had prepared as well as I could, and had given it my best shot. Beyond that it's in the lap of the Gods I'm afraid!

One thing you can count on is that it won't be easy, and you have a lot of work ahead of you. But take it from me, it's worth all the effort, and whether you're successful or not, you will get a great sense of achievement from knowing you tried your best.

Good luck.

Hi Paulo.

In answer to your first question, any Officer that would recommend you regardless of his views on your potential is not worth the title. Secondly, don't get too fixated on the speed time distance stuff, although your scores sound more than adequate. The aptitude test and planning exercises are just individual elements of a long selection process and everything else is of equal importance. You need to make sure you arrive at OASC as a well rounded candidate to give yourself the best chance.

I assume you're thinking of applying through the Basic Entry Scheme, rather than as a degree qualified entrant (apologies if that is incorrect). If this is the case the whole process is going to be very competitive, and you will be up against some very capable and highly motivated individuals, so be prepared for that. I'm glad to hear that your JEngO is supportive. It is part of an Officers' remit to develop subordinates, but having a boss prepared to go the extra mile is a great inspiration. Commissioning clubs can be fantastic, and I would definitely recommend throwing yourself into it. Any experience you can gain beforehand will make the whole process less daunting, and believe me it is one of the most pressurised situations I've ever been in!

I would recommend researching the whole selection process and make sure you are prepared for all of it. Seek as much outside help and advice as possible to give yourself the best chance. Of course, you can't be excellent at everything, but a lot of what the board are looking for will be in your bearing and the way you approach difficult situations, rather than whether you arrive at the correct solution (often there isn't one!). Personally, I just wanted to be able to walk away knowing that I had prepared as well as I could, and had given it my best shot. Beyond that it's in the lap of the Gods I'm afraid!

One thing you can count on is that it won't be easy, and you have a lot of work ahead of you. But take it from me, it's worth all the effort, and whether you're successful or not, you will get a great sense of achievement from knowing you tried your best.

Good luck.

I agree with (and would echo) all of the above. Good luck! OASC, RAFC, etc is not the 'walk in the park' many 'in the ranks' think it is.

OldMedic

Corporal
One simple suggestion is to write things in your word processor first where any typos and spelling mistakes will be highlighted for you to correct - much better than having someone else picking you up on them.

Then simply cut and paste into your post / reply.

All the best with your RAF career.

R

Reformed Scribbly

Paulo,

Remember that it's not just being prepared for the 4 days of selection and just focussing on that. You need to demonstrate that you've the ability to handle responsibility higher than would be expected of your rank, so have you had acting rank, had a meaty secondary duty for a good period of time, taken on extra responsibilities in the work place, or do something completely away from the service such as coaching etc? These are not exhaustive suggestions.

Also make sure you have a very good knowledge of your chosen branch, so organise visits to see different roles, this will also demonstrate your motivation. I sat in on an OASC interview when a 9 year SAC techie going for EngO didn't know what an IPT was. That didn't do him any favours as they expected him to know what he could be doing for his first 3-4 tours, not just the first tour as expected for direct entrants. Because you're in, they expect a bit more because you already have an advantage over new extrants.

Good Luck with the preparation.

Last edited:

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
A little ambitious for a member of the Medical Fraternity to attempt the revival of something long past its life but a top bit of Necro-Posting there none the less RAF_Nurse! ;)