• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gibraltar and surrounding Spanish coastline?

mrsribs

SAC
Guys,

Got a flight booked to Malaga in October and looking at spending 5 days in the area. Want to do a day trip at least to Gib and a ferry day trip to Tangiers.

Any suggestions where we should base ourselves, Malaga, Marbella etc etc. ideally despite it not being hot I would still like a beach area and vacation atmosphere.

Thanks in advance.

Gib/Spain

Gib/Spain

Old town Malaga is quite nice and has transport links to Mijas, Ronda, Antequera and Granada. It's a pain getting public transport to Gib from Malaga - hotels in Gib are expensive. Marbella, Torremillinos and surrounding areas have some nice beaches and there will be plenty of hotels. There will be plenty of coach trips to the surrounding city sites as mentioned above or get a car which will also be cheapish. Tangiers is a toilet but OK for a day trip if you get the ferry from Tarifa (which is nice) or Algerciras that goes to Tangier Med Port which is a few miles outside of the city.

I live in Gib so ask anything else that might interest you.

mrsribs

SAC
B and S,

thanks mate I appreciate the tips. I did Morroco / Algercerias a long time ago and have visited Gib numerous times, again awhile ago though.

I am taking two Americans with me who want to cram quite a bit of variety in hence the location. I will hire a car so no problems there and I was quite inclined to base myself up the coast and just visit Gib for the day.

Are you suggesting Malaga over Marbella and and Toremelinos, is there anywhere we should see and more importantly where we should avoid.

I appreciate Tangiers is a " dump" but it's purely a tick on the map for them and a cultural eye opener.

if you are in Gib, would you recommend any sort of itinerary, ie caves, monkeys, changing the Guard and anywhere specific to eat. M&S is on the shopping list as we don't live in the UK.

Finally and just on an off chance if you are still serving does Gib have any sort of welfare house to hire?

Many thanks.

B and S,

thanks mate I appreciate the tips. I did Morroco / Algercerias a long time ago and have visited Gib numerous times, again awhile ago though. Gib has changed significantly over the past few years - particularly Ocean Village and Casemates.

I am taking two Americans with me who want to cram quite a bit of variety in hence the location. I will hire a car so no problems there and I was quite inclined to base myself up the coast and just visit Gib for the day. Park at the border just before you enter Gib - easier than parking in town and you can then walk across the runway. There's a big municipal car park well sign posted as you get near the border.

Are you suggesting Malaga over Marbella and and Toremelinos, is there anywhere we should see and more importantly where we should avoid. Marbella/Torremelinos just isn't my 'scene' but each to their own. Malaga has a bit more character. If you have a car, consider the caves at Nerja.

I appreciate Tangiers is a " dump" but it's purely a tick on the map for them and a cultural eye opener. Consider overnighting in Tarifa and getting the ferry as foot pax to Morocco. It'll be a 10 minute walk to the centre of Tangier for the medina.

if you are in Gib, would you recommend any sort of itinerary, ie caves, monkeys, changing the Guard and anywhere specific to eat. M&S is on the shopping list as we don't live in the UK. St Michaels, monkeys and the siege and WW2 tunnels are fine. Either consider getting ripped off by the taxi drivers or the extortionate price for the cable car to get to the top. If you want to 'treat' them for traditional brit fish and chips, then avoid the Mad Monk (Angry Friar) and the Flip Flop (Horseshoe) on Main Street and go to Roy's in Casemates it's still not brilliant but it's the best of a very bad bunch. There's plenty of other food outlets in Ocean Village.

Finally and just on an off chance if you are still serving does Gib have any sort of welfare house to hire? I PVR'd a few months ago and don't have the contacts. I think Britt house is available but you might as well park in La Linea/border for the day and head off for Tarifa.

Many thanks.