• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Getting on tour/increasing chances.

G

gin27

I'm currently a reservist Gunner, been badged a few months but been on the Sqn for nearly 2 years (time delay not due to any failing on my part!). My squadron is well-sized and well placed for training. I am aged between 20-25 acceptably fit (never failed a test) and certainly willing to improve my fitness.

My main reason for posting is that i want to know wether it is possible to put my name down/volunteer for the next operational tour, wether with my attatched regular Sqn or not. I am well aware that eagerness to get on tour might be frowned upon, but, I want to do the job I signed up for. Im sure it wont be a walk in the park but then, there is only one way to find out if this is the job I want to do for years to come.

Of my Sqn (approx. 25-35 odd Gunners), I only know of 5 or 6 lads who have been OOA within the last 2 years. Whilst this may seem not too bad, there have been numerous whisperings that there is no opportunity for deployments- contrary to what Iwas told through the recruitment process.

If there is nothing I can do to improve my chances, does anyone on here think it might be worth me looking into the TA? Or even have any experience with it?

Sorry for the essay, look forward to your thoughts!

G

gin27

Yep, we are attatched to a regular Sqn on our base. Without wanting to reveal too much there are other rock sqns about not too far away.

duffman

Flight Sergeant
They would be my first of call, when are they away next and are they scaled to take auggies with them?